Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Spearhead
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you go for in a stabilizer or the feel you want?

After shot reaction? Or feel at full draw? Or both?

I'm thinking heavy due to the wind, and it blows in wy.

I haven't shot a "stabilizer" in 18 or so years till today.
I think I'm liking it.

This is for outdoor shooting unofficial field range and hope to go shoot
grand junction co.

Thanks

Chad

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Are you going for a full FITA V-Bar and long rod? From my little experiments with a long rod is seems mostly about aiming. All the high speed imaging I have seen shows almost no movement in the riser and stabilizers until after the arrow leaves the string.

Too heavy and when the wind blows it becomes hard to get back on center.

Rasyad

·
Spearhead
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rasyad
I'm going for the NFAA legal 12" and under stabilizer.
Picked up a used 10" bstinger pro and quick disconnect and so far indoors it shoots very well with 8oz weight, out to 30 yards.
Wind is a factor like today it's 25mph

Dkard
Grand junction big sky shoot is June 13,14,15.
I've never been to their shoot but everyone here says it's a great shoot to go to?
I've wanted to go in the past, this is the first year I'm actually off for it.
So I'm going

Chad

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Rasyad

Dkard
Grand junction big sky shoot is June 13,14,15.
I've never been to their shoot but everyone here says it's a great shoot to go to?
I've wanted to go in the past, this is the first year I'm actually off for it.
So I'm going

Chad
I should have you pick me up on the way. You will probably drive right by my house on the way. I'll have to get a lot more practice in but that is the goal for summer.

·
Registered
798 Posts
What do you go for in a stabilizer or the feel you want?

After shot reaction? Or feel at full draw? Or both?

I'm thinking heavy due to the wind, and it blows in wy.

I haven't shot a "stabilizer" in 18 or so years till today.
I think I'm liking it.

This is for outdoor shooting unofficial field range and hope to go shoot
grand junction co.

Thanks

Chad
I have shot one a little this week. Figured it would be a training aide to make myself aim more specific. Mercy, what a difference it makes. My groups at 40 were like my usual 20. I liked it. But no stabilizers in my class so I'm looking for more weight

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Both before and after. I look for the feel on the draw. I want the stab to make that a neutral feel with my arrow level on the target spot. The weight on the stab reacting against the weight of the draw.

I want the stab to keep the riser level on release. Riser jumping into finger sling. I don't want the riser to roll to far forward.

·
Spearhead
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Rusty.
No roll, 8oz I have a roll, 6oz not so much of a roll more of a slow tip forward after release and jump forward.
It's going to be a few days before I can shoot again till after surgery, I can't wait.
Thanks

Dkard
It's v formation shoot 20-65 yards, possible 600 points a day, oh Vegas face colors :-(

Chad

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
With stabs I add weight to the end until I start to have the arrow dip instead of float side to side, then I back off a little bit.

It's related to length of stab and draw weight. Higher draw weight/shorter stab equals more weight on the end of the stab. 6-8oz doesn't quite do it at 35#, 10-12oz gets me into that minimal float. I know a few guys on here are running 17oz dish stabs but they draw more weight then I do.

-Grant

·
finger shooter
3,439 Posts
I use 17 oz on my 12" stab, with 47#'s on the fingers it holds perfect. I go for hold at full draw and reaction on the shot of a slight jump forward. With a 30" long stab, I use 6 on front and bars with 10 on left and 12 oz on right, side bars are 12" length. Add that to my heavy Zenit with 2 8.5oz bb weights and a 2.5 oz... I like my riser HEAVY

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.