Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
One Shot One Kill
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you use a stabalizer in the RU IBO class?? Very interested in shooting in this class and don't see in the rules that you can or cannot use a stabalizer anyone know?

Jordan

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Rule 13

13. RECURVE UN-AIDED (RU)
A recurve or longbow shot with fingers directly contacting the bowstring using a glove, finger tab, or bare fingers. No sighting device of any kind may be used. A rest and plunger are all that may reside within the sight window of the bow. No type of draw check or clicker may be used. There shall be NO markings on the bow or bowstring (intentional or accidental) that could be construed as sighting marks. All arrows shall be of the same material and be of uniform length and weight. String walking and face walking are permitted in the RU class. RU archers will shoot from the orange stake.

The rule doesn't state one way or the other about a stablizer in the RU class. But for a more difinitave answer, the IBO site does have a forum and you may get an answer there. Good luck to you this year Jordan!

·
Registered
78 Posts
stabilizers

Albertakid said:
Can you use a stabalizer in the RU IBO class?? Very interested in shooting in this class and don't see in the rules that you can or cannot use a stabalizer anyone know?

Jordan
Kid, In the RU class in IBO some rule changes have been made. You can now string walk, face walk, and if I`m not mistaking, there are no restrictions on stabilizers. It used to be a single stabilizer not more than 12" from the front of the bow.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I was aware of the stuff about the front stabs, but I am wondering about a set of V-bars....I reckon that I'll have to E-mail the I.B.O., and ask??..Harpman

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
From the IBO news section

RU CLASS CHANGES

- string walking and face walking is now allowed

- no stabilizer restrictions

- 30 yards at the orange stake

To me that means all bets are off. V-bars 30" stabilizers etc.

·
Barebow Recurve Shooter
4,540 Posts
I don't do 3D anymore but I have to ask. Since the whole point of this game seems to be hunting oriented, wouldn't you want to stick with a stabilizer that could conceivably be used hunting? A 36" Easton ACE with V-bar and side rods just doesn't seem, dare I say, practicle?

Or, has winning become so all important that principle is tossed aside, all for the sake of a plastic cup or a colored ribbon?

Dave

·
Banned
1,826 Posts
I thought you could use a stab 12" or less.

·
One Shot One Kill
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Desert Archer

I asked cause I want to shoot with my hunting set-up not a target rig and have a stabalizer that is less than 12" more like 9" for hunting.
I just didn't want to change my set-up to compete.

Jordan

·
Registered
892 Posts
D.A.,

3-D archery tournaments haven't been "hunting practice" since the early 1990's. They developed into their own form of target archery.

I agree that it is impractical, and I'll add - ridiculous - to shoot a back tension release, scope and full stabilizer at a rubber animal target.

Personally, if I want to compete in target archery, I'll take an international standard like the FITA indoor or outdoor round over guessing where the 12 ring is on a rubber turkey.

If/When I do shoot 3-D events (which is rare anymore for me), it is truly hunting practice, and I shoot the critters where I think they should be shot. Not where I think the 12 ring is. And often, it is NOT where the 12 ring is, which is pretty sad IMO.

How can you determine who the best archer is, when it really comes down to a guessing game as to where the 10/12 rings are?

The day I saw folks carrying flashcards of 3-D targets and their kill rings into the woods was the day I walked away from 3-D tournaments.

John.

G

·
John, your post makes a heck of a lot of sense to me...

Just curious guys, are you allowed to carry binoculars on a 3D course so you don't have to guess where the 12 ring is? Flashcards is just bad form as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
698 Posts
jipp said:
why dont they put kill zones in real spots
Because it depends on where the animal is facing relative to the shooter. With a single, fixed zone, there's really no way to make it realistic from all angles.

Ken

·
Banned
1,826 Posts
John --

Didn't get to read the article about you in what ever hunting magazine it was, but didn't you mention in it at the moment of truth that bowhunters are basically target archers? Can't have it both ways.

You target archers need to quit harping on 3D archery. The Target Archery world blew its chance years ago.

I think it is and was the people at the helm in the target world (at many levels and different locations) that are partly at fault, along with the money and manufacturers.

The target archery world needs to do something to promote what it does and make it fun. Quit blaming or being critical of 3D archery.

I shoot both and enjoy both.

·
One Shot One Kill
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Archery

We don't have many options in Montana either indoor spots or 3-d and I due both. Our club has one of the best 3-d courses in the country and it is only about 10 miles from the house so I can practice easily and work on my shooting easier than trying to find a place to shoot 20 yards in the winter that is why I am interested in 3-d tourneys.

Jordan

·
Registered
78 Posts
To be honest, I`d like to see the binos done away with and everyone just shoot behind the shoulder or where you think the kill zone would be and see what you score. When I started shooting 3D that`s the way it was. The courses seem to move faster and we had alot of fun.:2cents:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts