Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nothing against squirrels except that they are too talented when it comes to emptying a bird feeder before the birds can. I finally got around to getting one that closes the doors when a squirrel grabs hold.

Before that for about $100. there was one that spun when he grabbed on. I always wondered how hard that was on the squirrel when he got spinning so fast that he got perfectly horizontal and wouldn't let go until finally he was launched across the yard.

The daughter just showed me this remedy. Cheap and hilariously entertaining.

Reactions: pondscum2

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's the spinning feeder. Never did get one. I'd hate to see the squirrel get slammed into the house spinning that fast. Might have to pick up a slinky though

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Your first link i was thinking dang that's clever. Saw another slinky one and clicked on it. The squirrel learned to push the slinky up the pole and jump around it. Them tree rats really are smart at times.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike, yes, I had one and it worked until they learned they could jump and get on top of it.

In the summer, when the hummingbird feeders are out I grease the poles and that keeps most of the ants out of the nectar. By the time the bird feeders come out the rain has washed most of the grease off. Once we used Crisco to see if that would make it too slippery for the squirrels but it doesn't last very long. Determined little buggers.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I spot the critter nipping the tops off the tulips this spring, I might. :)

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Shot quite a few squirrels off the feeders with a bow and arrows and judos. Unfortunately destroyed quite a few bird feeders! Mother was displeased...

G

·
I’ve been told by a few that the “spicy” bird food deters squirrels. Mammals feel the unpleasant effects of the capsaicin while our fine feathered friends do not. It’s no spinning feeder in the entertainment department, but purportedly effective nonetheless.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We don't have trees around here in Texas so squirrels aren't a problem. I have only seen one in the yard since moving here a year ago. But in PA we had a lot of trees and squirrels would empty the feeder daily. So we put a baffle above and below the feeder. That stopped them. They couldn't get at the feeder from top or bottom because they baffles "wobbled" and they would slide off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts