Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot 200 shoots thru Black Thunder/Hex 5 W at 20 yards with a plunger and magnetic flipper, then with a springy rest. I used Student T test paired by shot number and score.

There was less than one standard deviation. No conclusion

·
Registered
677 Posts
I sure like my springy set up Rusty.

Help a rookie out here, where can I find this Student T test and other stuff you used for the comparison?

Thanks…..:)

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just Google Student T Test. It is especially easy to use with two population and one variable to compare the distribution. Test assumes there will be even distribution (like bell curve). We are testing to see that is true. If there was a high standard of deviation, that might mean that in this case one was better than the other.

Excel has a function. Your data is shot name score

a1 8 b1 7
a2 9 b2 9

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not really found in statistics . For example I have no idea what size population it would take to solve the issue. I suspect it would be huge since my shooting is no where near accurate enough to prove anything with such small population

·
Registered
677 Posts
I am not really found in statistics . For example I have no idea what size population it would take to solve the issue. I suspect it would be huge since my shooting is no where near accurate enough to prove anything with such small population
I have worked with statistics a lot Rusty, but normally with no human interaction to muddy the water.

I think that I do better with the springy, but in all honesty, my form, release, and bow tune are all better now than they were when I first started out with the plunger/flipper combo. I think that if I scored maybe 10 vegas rounds with the springy now, then tuned the bow with the plunger/flipper combo and scored 10 vegas rounds with that setup, it should give me an honest evaluation.

One thing for sure, there is a lot less to possibly go wrong with the springy. :)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
One thing for sure, there is a lot less to possibly go wrong with the springy.

This is the second reason why I shoot a Springy The first is it tightens up my gaps just a little. Is it better than a flipper and button ? that depends on who you ask. LOL
Gary

·
赛
614 Posts
Rusty -

Ok. A statistical dead heat. But here's the $64 question - which would you choose as your go-to setup, if you were gonna choose?

Regards,

Salskov

·
Registered
4,903 Posts

Gary
you mean like not going to a tourney and leaving both my plungers at home lol

How do you fine tune with the springy? it puts me off not knowing how easy/difficult it is to tune compared to a rest/plunger. how long do they last?

·
Registered
677 Posts
you mean like not going to a tourney and leaving both my plungers at home lol

How do you fine tune with the springy? it puts me off not knowing how easy/difficult it is to tune compared to a rest/plunger. how long do they last?
Fine tuning a springy is easy as shaking hands. :)

Vertical adjustment is mostly made via nock sets, but you can rotate the spring slightly if a minute vertical change is needed.

Horizontal adjustments are also extremely easy with Gary`s rests, and if you find that the arrow is not reacting correctly even with major adjustments…..you need a lighter or heavier spring.

How long do they last? The rest itself will outlast any of us, and the springs……Gary or Rusty could offer better input than me, but I know one spring will last 5000 shots and counting.:shooting:

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
For me personally I shoot the rest and plunger better plus I find it easier to tune.

However for NFAA use I'd be tempted to go with the springy just to reduce the gaps a little, large gaps are the bane of my existance.

-Grant

·
Registered
125 Posts
For me personally I shoot the rest and plunger better plus I find it easier to tune.

However for NFAA use I'd be tempted to go with the springy just to reduce the gaps a little, large gaps are the bane of my existance.

-Grant
Hey Grant, how is it that a springy rest reduces the gaps? I'm unfamiliar with these kinds of rests?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Tori the springy has a cushion type effect when the arrow travels thru the rest the spring moves down a little then it comes back up. The wire on most flipper type rests are very stiff compared to the spring. So when I shot a wire it was like I would get a small false cast or a hop off the wire. Making my point on about 2 to 3 yds farther. But keeping my long yardages the same. If you aim with the arrow at the target your gaps my only change a few inches. Which at 25 yards and 25 or 30" below the target its not much help. But if you gap off the arrow in the window and let's say your gap with the wire is 3/4" and you change to the springy it might reduce your gap as much as a1/16" to maybe an 1/8" now from 3/4" to 5/8" is a Big deal the smaller gaps are easier to see. This does not mean it is the same for everybody but its what happened for me. Hope this helps
Gary

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
The sample size is related to the spread in the two bell curves, and their separation, and will be a smaller number than you think. 20 is a pretty big sample size. Look up power calculations. That tells you what the sample size would have to be for your desired confidence level.

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
I dont consiously gap, but my left and right has become very consistent since using Gary's springy rest on my Das longbow.

·
Registered
96 Posts

This is the second reason why I shoot a Springy The first is it tightens up my gaps just a little. Is it better than a flipper and button ? that depends on who you ask. LOL
Gary
Well said Gary,
We have updated the Springy Arrow rest page at Pat Norris Archery. The Micro Adjustable springy is there and we have made it easier to purchase either a package of one size Replacement Springs or a package of Assorted Replacement Springs. http://patnorrisarchery.com/adjustablespringy.htm

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm very interested in this discussion because I have been thinking about a springy for a setup on a barebow compound. But I did not realise that people used them on recurves and longbows? I thought the magnetic flipper+plunger combo was the go to for all the top barebowers? And the springy was used for compounds because of the greater pressure from the wheels? Or no?

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have some old "springys" in my tackle box, but just the spring, not the mount. I'm trying to recall what they may have come with that I even have them? Or how they were mounted, how I might mount one. I guess I could make a 5/16 x 24 stud with a small screw tapped into the end. I have not been able to find them new in the US

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Pat Norris will have them in a couple of weeks
I have some old "springys" in my tackle box, but just the spring, not the mount. I'm trying to recall what they may have come with that I even have them? Or how they were mounted, how I might mount one. I guess I could make a 5/16 x 24 stud with a small screw tapped into the end. I have not been able to find them new in the US

1 - 20 of 31 Posts