Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty fellas, since ive started archery ive always shot split finger, and using my thumb to hold down my pinky. Today at my local range I noticed my good friend had his thumb vertically on the side of his face and his pinky relaxed outward. Any benefits to this? Anyone else do it? Just wondering since I was always taught theres a "right way", which now im starting to see as false.

·
Registered
190 Posts
In most coaching circles, the thumb up position you describe is a fault. The thumb up puts a LOT of tension into your hand and forearm and forces an angle to your hand that is considered bad.

YES! there are shooters that use it (some very well) but trained coaches will see it as a fault and will most often try to help correct it to what you were taught. I personally see NO benefit and would argue against it.

·
Super Moderator
2,773 Posts
Fred Bear used a high thumb. Howard Hill used the thumb on pinky method. Ben Pearson used a low thumb; I don't know about the pinky. They were the early greats that taught us how to shoot hunting style and they designed the bows to do it with.

A lot more archers use the low thumb, but you can suit yourself. - lbg

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Moe and Lbg, always appreciate your guys' wisdom

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
It all depends on your anatomy. I have shorter fingers so just tuck my thumb under. I can't hold it with my pinky or put it up behind my ear without strain so tucking is comfortable for me. I have a friend who puts the thumb behind his ear and it looks strained to me. I use the feeling in my back muscles for a draw check rather than the mechanical locking the thumb behind my ear.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
If you are interested in being the best barebow archer you can be, it's time to switch to 3 under.

As for the thumb, just keep it relaxed and it will find it's own place. No need for any tucking or lifting.

-Grant

1 - 6 of 6 Posts