Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased some used Cartel Triples (Olympians) to try out for field archery. They are much less expensive than my ACE and in line with the size I am accustomed to shooting. I have never tried spin wings because I did not want to refletch existing arrows to experiment. Now with these coming, I thought I would give spin wings a try. Anyone--how about all you folks coming back from the FITA field championships--have an opinion on using spin wings for field archery? Which do you prefer?

·
Spearhead
3,573 Posts
Hank, good post, I'm interested also.
Even a how to? I know nothing about spin wings, they take a different fletcher also don't they?
I'm thinking of trying them (longer distance shots will have less drop than my 4" feather arrows) but some insight would be great.

Chad

·
j-san = Jason
1,683 Posts
I've used Spinwings in the past for FITA shoots. They use tape rather than fletch glue and you really don't need a fletching jig to apply them. Despite having mentioned that, I used a fletching jig to help me mark and properly place the tape on the shaft.

One thing I didn't like about the Spinwings is their fragility. They often didn't survive a pass-through on a soft spot and could literally cut another off if you managed to stack arrows into a tight grouping. On the other hand, they are the lightest fletching out there and do give you less arrow drop at 70m and 90m shots.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I don't use Spinwings but I have used a couple other varieties of mylar fletch which are the Elivanes and Kurly Vanes.

The Elivanes are very rigid compared to Spinwings, they are also rather small even in the P3 or S3 sizes. I found their extreme curl made applying them rather hard if you follow the directions which say to put the tape on the vane then apply it to the shaft. Ultimately I stopped using Elivanes because I tried Kurly Vanes which seem to work a little better for just under half the cost.

Kurly Vanes are my current vane of choice for 3D, Field and Target. I've tried the smallest 45mm version but generally I prefer the 70mm for a little more stability. I may try the middle 55mm size eventually but for now 70mm does what I want for 70m and under. Kurlies aren't quite as rigid as Elivanes and they are also quite a bit higher profile. They sit between Elivanes and Spinwings in that regard.

A note on colors:
The Elivanes colors are rather washed out and semi-transparent. I chose green and it's literally grass green, the yellow is a dead ringer for urine.

The different Kurly Vane colors actually seem to have different construction. I haven't used the day-glow colors but they supposedly have a layer of paper for the color which isn't very durable. The holographic ones also don't seem to be that durable with the color getting scratched off by contact in the bale. Supposedly the clear ones are the most durable of the Kurlies. I've used the silver and they are actually pretty durable in that regard.

In terms of shape durability either one can crease if you shoot them through a target but most of the time the creases will come out with some fingernail pressure. Being able to attach a new vane in under 5 minutes makes them more than durable enough for me to be comfortable shooting them for 3D. Almost all of the time you can leave the glue strip in place and just attach a new vane. Worth keeping 5-6 vanes, 2 glue strips and 3-4 end-taps in your quiver for a long day.

-Grant

Reactions: Zulu

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Hank I have shot spin wings and as others have mentioned, they are brittle. They are such a hard plastic that they break rather then bend. Don't misunderstand me, you can bend them, but with a sudden impact they break rather then bend. I'm currently shooting Gaspro vanes, which are a similar concept, but much more durable. In fact when I swapped in my light weight limbs to work on form the plunger started leaving a mark in the one vane(poor clearance due to overly stiff arrow). I wouldn't be surprised if that same situation cracked a spinwing.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have seen FITA shooters applying spin wings during tournaments on many occasions. They appear to be easier for a field repair. Many of the folks that I shoot FITA with, use spin wings or variants. They like them. The key question is whether they are sufficiently durable to get through a field round with arrows to spare. It sounds like they are easy enough to refletch before the next days shooting.

Grant, I had heard that the stiffness of the wing was determined by the color. I did not see that on the Lancaster website. Maybe, that is Kurly Vanes.

·
markliep
687 Posts
Hank -I found that Elivanes added about 10m to my poi past 70m last year & had similar stability to the vanetec swifts that I like - found the taping a bit of a hassle to set up & in cold weather the vanes peel off on any pass throughs - it's also a good idea to tape the front & back vane with a circumferential wrap to keep the vanes attched for those pass throughs - if you like I can send you some - would be a pretty simple thing to do though you'll need some fletching tape & a jig - i pretaped mine then put them in the jig to apply them - M

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Elivanes all the way. I find them super durable and a snap to apply. Use a Beiter tri-liner to mark your shafts, lay down the tape, peel off the tape cover (one at at time), hold vane with your fingers, lay down one end then slowly uncurl the vane as you place it edge of vane on edge of tape, rub down with finger, do the other two vanes, tape top and bottom.

I have shot through hay with no damage.

K1 archery has them. I like the S3 pictured in my One Bow thread.

Rasyad

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Slam dunk if K1 has them. I can send Freidhelm an email and get all set up. He is one of the FITA folks that I shoot with.

M, thanks for the offer. I think I will take a flyer and order some.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Eli vanes S3 is my choice buy some 1/4 pin stripe tape to tape the ends with. Limb walker has a nice thread on setting them extreme helical on AT.

I don't think any of the barebow guys used them this weekend.

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Nunzeo at AEP makes a tool that you can take vanes and make them into a curly vane conf. I've done my 2" wave vanes and it does a pretty good job. Just use the tool with a hair dryer to hear the vanes. The cost is like $10.00. He is a great guy and has a web sight!

Mike

·
Registered
267 Posts
I support the opinion of kenn1320.
Gaspro vanes are the only vanes on my arrows at the moment. I tried Curly vanes and spin wings. Both do a good job like the Gaspro vanes and stabilise the arrow very quickly but they are not as durable as the Gaspro vanes.
Besides that the Gaspro vanes are available in a variety of lengths and shapes to fit different needs from target indoor to field outdoor.
In my eyes the best choice at the moment.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I haven't tried Spin Wings but I did get the Euro equivalent (Kurly Vanes) a couple of weeks ago for some experimentation for a 3D / field archery arrow. The story is as follows ...

My Current Arrows:
I've been shooting full length 600 spine GT Ultralight shafts. I've been using 2" NAP Quik Spins vanes, 10 grain insert, 125 grain Tophat field point, Bohning nock, etc. All in these are 340 grains.

Possible New Arrow:
I was in the US for business two weeks ago. Trad Tech (thanks John :)) delivered a parcel of goodies to the hotel. I got a dozen VAP V6 (600 & 700 spine) shafts to experiment a little with. The 600 spine seemed to fly well from my bow (Spig. BB with 32# HEX 6 limbs wound all the way in). I fletched with three 50mm Kurly vanes, 85 grain glue-in fields points, the standard nock that was supplied with the shafts, etc. These arrows are circa 265 grains total.

I've the same spine arrow (in static spine terms) and I've reduced my arrow weight by circa 80 grains. Is this any advantage for IFAA 3D ... perhaps not? Is this an advantage for IFAA field ... probably yes?

I'm not really sure which I prefer at the moment. I need to experiment for another month. One intial observation is that the Kurly vanes are not as robust as the NAP Quik Spins ... I initially fletched-up nine GT shafts with the Kurly vanes and after a couple of sessions I'd one arrow left with three vanes attached to it. A lot of this attrition was due to poor clearance off the rest. Plus I'm a lefty and for some reason I bought RH vanes. I've played with the nock position and this has helped.

I've currently three VAP 6's fletched with Kurly vanes and they're holding-up well.

Regards, James.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,771 Posts
Has anyone measured the differences in points of impact to say 65 yards compared to conventional vanes or feathers? For field archery setups. - lbg

1 - 20 of 39 Posts