Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm wanting to know what the difference is in power and speed between a 50# bear grizzly recurve and a 50# bear Montana longbow (NOT reflex/reflex). Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Even though the Montana is slightly reflexed as a rule the recurve will be a bit faster. It's been my experience that longbows are smoother and easier to shoot.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even though the Montana is slightly reflexed as a rule the recurve will be a bit faster. It's been my experience that longbows are smoother and easier to shoot.
Thanks for the input longrifle! about ho w much faster would the recurve be? would it be visually noticeable? I don't know why, but speed is a big deal for my bow-ego

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
The Montana is an inefficient bow which performs very poorly when using anything less than heavy arrows. If speed is even a peripheral goal it's the wrong bow.
Non of the Bear bows are what you would call fast and the Montana is easily among the slowest of the bunch.

-Grant

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks grant! I know, I shouldn't be focused on speed, but my 50# grizzly launches 450 grain arrows pretty fast. I was just wondering what the difference would be between the two bows. Thanks again for your input!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I agree with Grant and draw length differences would probably prevent any concrete answer anyway. Understand that it doesn't have to be 50# to be fast anymore and it doesn't have to be recurve, there are some great hybrid options out there that make a pretty zippy longbow. I've got a Rambo Warf with a plain-jane set of Tradtech longbow limbs pulling 43# at my draw length. It's hitting the beams at 197 with 8.5 gpi. Put a well-tuned smaller diameter shaft behind a sharp cut-on-contact broadhead and I don't think penetration will be an issue....

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everything being equal, string, arrows, draw, weight, I'll bet the recurve will be 10-15 Fps faster.
Just a guess tho.

Chad
Sweet, thanks chad!! I'll try to even the odds by adding a d97 string, though I know that won't help too much

·
Spearhead
3,576 Posts
Depending on the string you are currently using? Like a factory string?
Going to a 12 strand d97 you will gain that if not a tad more.
Factory strings are over built and usually junk. Just my findings on stock production bows.

Chad

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Depending on the string you are currently using? Like a factory string?
Going to a 12 strand d97 you will gain that if not a tad more.
Factory strings are over built and usually junk. Just my findings on stock production bows.

Chad
I just ordered a 14 strand. Would that be pretty close in performance to a 12 strand?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I just ordered a 14 strand. Would that be pretty close in performance to a 12 strand?
Yes, very close difference between 12 strands, and 14 strands...Coodster is probably spot-on with his 10-15 f.p.s. estimate...My question is, why a Bear Montana, vs. some of the other options out there for close to the same money??....Some really nice flatbows/hybrids available for reasonable cost....Take care.......Jim

·
Registered
152 Posts
The physics would say, all things being equal, the recurve is slightly more efficient in transferring energy, therefore, at the same draw, draw weight and arrow, faster. However, more modern technological design can thwart that. For example, longbow limbs on a highly technologically based riser, like a high end Hoyt (Buffalo?) might equal or exceed a recurve with all other factors being equal. Energy transfer is one of the reasons warf bows are so fast, and often superior to a lot of bows. Cable cannon risers are more efficient in transferring energy than all but a very few trad risers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts