Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
My father landed on Gold beach ... he made very few comments about it about during his life. What he did tell me was horrific

·
Premium Member
12,784 Posts
amen amen & amen.
My Dad was over there, not on the beach, but all around the place, demolitions expert, and he would not talk about it much at all, none until I was a grown man & we'd have our visits after a day's hunting, or running gun shops on days off.
Thanks & prayers for all that have served in our military..

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
My father landed on Gold beach ... he made very few comments about it about during his life. What he did tell me was horrific
Phil, my uncle was there, made it through and was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge, he refused to speak of what he saw or did. I was reminded of what he done when I visited his grave on memorial weekend. On his simple grave marker it shows his rank and unit,,, and a purple heart

Reactions: Phil

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
One of my Grandfathers was there with the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards, he never made it off the beach. I stop and think about that every 6th June with sadness, pride and respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jon ... they were an astonishing generation. My father was 19 years old when stepped out onto that beach.

Reactions: Bowcephalus

·
Registered
9,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jon ... they were an astonishing generation. My father was 19 years old when stepped out onto that beach.
The courage of those men defies belief. They knew what they were walking into but still walked on. The word "hero" is used too easily these days but those guys really were true heroes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
503 Posts
My dad fought in the third division, and landed at Anzio, on the northwestern coast of Africa. Fought his way across north Africa, across Sicily, up into Italy. About halfway up into Italy he was severely wounded and spent 6 months in an army hospital. His story is too long to tell, but he was awarded three purple hearts and the bronze star for valor. His captain told him that he was going to send in a recommendation for the silver star, but was killed in battle before he could get word to HQ. The captain died on a hill with my dad trying to save his life. Everyone died in that battle but my dad. He laid on that hill for 24 hours severely wounded, until the Germans retreated and medics could get to him. Wish I could remember all he told me. It was pretty bad. To say that I am proud of him would be an understatement. He passed in 1992.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
John...your Dad like so many of that generation did what no one should ever be asked to do. With humility I wish that their stories were shared to add perspective to what future generations could expect and should strive to behave like. One of my Grandfathers was "lucky" enough to be in the European occupational forces...having the good fortune for that theater's war to have ended on the ship ride over. My other Grandfather was rejected for service due to physical issues when he went to volunteer after his brother-in-law (my Mom's uncle was killed aboard the Oklahoma) at Pearl Harbor. I think the "political agenda" was much more obvious and clear at that time......but I'd like to think...and mostly believe that the volunteer military that serves our country today does an honorable job carrying on their spirit of service and sacrifice. They do...so that we don't have to......God Bless our troops past and present!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.