Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the temp was dropping fast, probably around 20 in the country with 25-35 mph winds -- decided to see if I could stick it out on a stand this evening.

Moon Rise and a Minor Activity Period just before dark, but that wind was really howling, didn't know if I would see any deer or not. I think tuffshot posted the link on the moon phase rut trigger and according to it, today is it.

An hour before dark does started showing up in the bean field to the south. Doe to the north crossing a big grass field. Later medium buck crosses big grass field. The does in the field are working in my direction and a decent bucks runs a doe off to the other side of the field.

Look to my left and here walking along the bean field edge is a big 10 pointer. He wasn't going to stop so I did the snort/wheeze call and it stopped him in his tracks. He started walking back the other way and I snort/wheezed again. Turned right into the timber strip between the 2 fields I was in and started coming up towards me. I had drawn on him twice in the field (at about 25 yards) but I wasn't sure I could get the arrow through some branches. He was now about 12 yards away and got a nice almost head on look at that rack, looked nice and I wasn't bouncing off the stand yet.

I think the wind swirled and he got a wiff of me, didn't hesitate and went right back to the east where he came from and out of sight!

@!#$%!#$^^%*$%^^&$$%!!!!!!

Hank :)

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Yep, Full Moon tonight!

Wish we could see it but there is too much cloud cover and windy here also. I was out last Friday and the deer are moving pretty good, I saw 6 does and one buck but he didn't get in the area until right at 5:50pm whle I was putting the stand together to pack out.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
@!#$%!#$^^%*$%^^&$$%!!!!!!

Ain't that the truth! :)

That snort/wheeze works real good when breeding is on. Still lots of rut activity remaining through the end of the month. Keep at 'er Hank, more time afield is the key now... got a catch 'em in between Does, which you nearly did! ;)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Shot an 8 pointer...

...last week. He was feeding behind me and took off when I turned in my stand to shoot. I snort/sheezed and he "locked up" 15 yards away and brodside. The "Spoiler" took its third buck of the year. :)

·
Banned
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AOL news said 12 degrees when I left this morning, got in the stand about 10:30AM and got down a little after 5PM.

The wind wasn't bad but it was chilly. Had a decent 8 pointer about 5 yards away but wouldn't cross the dip in the fence (where all the other deer cross lol), turned right and walked away. Had a 6 pointer directly underneath me a little later. Saw about 6 does and 6 different bucks, most of the activity was in the middle of the day, very little moving tonight. Most of the does were alone and only 2 of the bucks were with does.

Saw 2 coyotes playing around in the big grassy field and thought about shooting one, but I had seen a buck in a patch of timber not too far away and didn't want to chance it. Coyotes were moving during the activity period.

Turkeys -- lol, saw a bunch on a hill about 100 yards away just going back and forth making all kinds of racket and finally 5 flew off and roosted in some near by trees. They did the back and forth thing 3 more times in the afternoon.

Didn't get one, but boy what a show.

I want some lessons from Bill too lol.

Hank

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
That was quite a show you got to see today Hank... I'd like to hear this snort wheeze a few times, to be able to try and imitate it. I've been hearing alot about it hear lately. Does anybody know of a web site that has this call on it?

Lambow

·
Banned
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Basically it is 2 quick noises, with a long noise following.

I have no idea if this is right, but I heard/saw Barry Wensel do it on a tv show and simply tried to imitate him -- he did say the long noise was made by pushing air out between your teeth.

The two beginning quick noises can be made by saying the word "fit" twice, but only using air and not your vocal cords.

see if that works

Hank

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
For what it's worth... this is the time of year up here in the Midwest where bruiser bucks are sometimes found locked together in antler death grips. Have even heard where one was pawed (decapitated) by the other to escape with his life.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
They also become moving targets for vehicles. The night time can be very dangerous in a highly populated deer area. I have seen quite a few huge bucks get hit and it is a shame they were not the prize of a bowhunter..

The moon sure is bright tonight! ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts