Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In all my bow making i have yet to put a real skin on a laminated glass bow. I installed a fabric skin and used bow epoxy and it came out fine and I have seen the utube using Barge. I am sure there are many threads on this so I hate to bother you all but would like any advice or a link to a good thread.
Thanks
Si

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Barge is a bad choice of adhesive. Use Titebond II Premium Wood Glue.
You want to install the skin while it is wet. Soak skins for a few minutes, 5-10.
I like to use a pair of closely matched skins with the tails oriented to the tip end of the limb.
Clean limb surface with alcohol. After they dry, Don't touch!
Apply Titebond II evenly to limb back, lay skin on limb and stretch/pull skin tightly and uniformly.
Work out all the bubbles of excess glue.
Set aside and let dry for several days.
Trim skins to fit limb with razor blade.
Remove scales. I use duct tape.
Final step, seal.

P.S. Use air dried skins, do not use tanned skins.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Awhile back I remember reading a post about someone spray painting the back of black glass limbs with silver paint (or some other color) so that the skins do not look so dark. I think the context was that someone had some copperhead skins glued to black limbs that looked dark brownish instead of the typical copper color.

Anyone have any recommendations for what color the limbs should be to get the best color out of the skins?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts