Trad Talk Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Man all this video I have been doing of late has shown me how much I suck :)

Here is a slow motion clip of Blacky - Ray and myself and granted next to both these guys most would look bad but I am on a mission to clean it up and work on my flaws

So I'm changing it up and gonna listen to many and give three under a try also

So here's the last time you guys might be seeing me shoot split

Bows are

Titan Win Win

TT Black Magic Bf Extremes

Border Covert Hunter (Mbogo) Hex 7-H

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
JP, you da man. We have lots in common. None the less I just hate to see those releases when you finger splay out and your hand is 3" from your face. LOL

I enjoyed your video.

JP + 3 days with ROD = awesome JP :crawfish:

·
The Mad Scientist
1,492 Posts
What camera did you shot these with (FPS rate)?

Also did you notice the limb tips waving side to side on the Hex 7 limbs? The BFE don't appear to do that, but a better angle would help.

·
Premium Member
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JP, you da man. We have lots in common. None the less I just hate to see those releases when you finger splay out and your hand is 3" from your face. LOL

I enjoyed your video.

JP + 3 days with ROD = awesome JP :crawfish:
That's my Rick Welch release :)

Actually I would love to go to Rod or Ricks course and hopefully will get the chance

Thanks for the kind words

·
Premium Member
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What camera did you shot these with (FPS rate)?

Also did you notice the limb tips waving side to side on the Hex 7 limbs? The BFE don't appear to do that, but a better angle would help.
Matt my Go Pro Black

I think 1080 30 FPS I have to look

All limb tips have movement and I think any super recurve limb I have seen and I have seen and shot most have a tad more movement than a conventional limb

The bow feels so smooth it's almost hydraulic and very dead in the hand

Thanks for the comments I'll check the camera and see what setting its at

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Jparanee - I am not an expert by any means so take this with a grain of salt. If you want to switch to 3 under to use a aiming method by all means go ahead. But looking at your videos you are a pretty good shot even with the split finger shooting. I think you just need to work on shooting slower and cleaning up your form. You seem to shoot quickly and creep forward a bit. Rod's clinic helped me out a lot with form.

·
Premium Member
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jparanee - I am not an expert by any means so take this with a grain of salt. If you want to switch to 3 under to use a aiming method by all means go ahead. But looking at your videos you are a pretty good shot even with the split finger shooting. I think you just need to work on shooting slower and cleaning up your form. You seem to shoot quickly and creep forward a bit. Rod's clinic helped me out a lot with form.
I agree whole heart-idly

I have had a lot of success in my bowhunting career and I am coming from 67 to 69 pound recurves so I am amazed at what a mid fifty pound bow can do these days

The first way to improve is to be able to look at yourself and see your weak points

I have a lot of weak points so I welcome all comments and I happen to agree with yours

What brought about the three fingers under switch is simple

The Hex 7 bow has a small window that was obscuring my vision on close shots

After my initial review and videos I thought I would give three fingers under a shot

I can not bring my anchor up due to the shape of my face I just can not comfortably do it

So I thought what the hell I'll try 3 under to see if I can get better clearance on the close shots with this site window

Well instantly it all came together with this small site window

It was like night and day and now I can apreciate the small window and understand what Rusty was saying

The last few days since the videos I have been shooting three under and I am more consistent thus far

Many have urged me to try it and I'm hard headed and stupid some days

Well on this day because of a very special bow I tried something different and I like it

Now Ray with his higher anchor had no problem with the small sight window and liked it fine from the get go

I am looking into a Rod class as we speak

·
Registered
607 Posts
JP. my hat is off to you sir. With a trophy room like you have all you can think about is getting better. I am not qualified to offer shooting advise but I am sure what ever you decide you will be successful. Good Luck on your journey and thanks for posting the videos.

·
Premium Member
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
JP. my hat is off to you sir. With a trophy room like you have all you can think about is getting better. I am not qualified to offer shooting advise but I am sure what ever you decide you will be successful. Good Luck on your journey and thanks for posting the videos.
Man thanks GDawg for the kind words

I've spent a a lot of time in the field and that has taught me you can always learn something new

We all want to improve at any endeavor we care about....the search for perfection is always endless and than when you find it it can be as fleeting as a cherry blossom :)

Mature big animals come hard and any more I owe them and everyone around me the respect of always trying to improve

Simply put surround yourself with great shots like Blacky and Ray and you want to improve :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Good luck on your adventure to perfection. I can appreciate the desire to always get better. Surely a trait that everyone should aspire to. Looks like you have two great shooters to lead you on your journey. Enjoying your videos as well, keep up the great work.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
The good thing about owning a bunch of COOL bows is everybody is looking at the bow and not you Form :p

I watch a lot of the top shooters on YouTube they all have Form flaws, I have a heap myself.

If it was easy it wouldn't be such a pleasurable journey when you get to where your happy with your shooting, 28 years shooting, I think I might start to get the hang of it within the next 20 years or so lol

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
I think that jumping from heavier bows to a lighter one is one thing.....then the excitement of the new bow and playing is another...then you add a super recurve that has a different feel altogether at the end of the draw and anyones form will be thrown off initially.

So I would say this.

Draw slower.......just to your anchor - not past - just to it...hold for 3 seconds and let down.....

Slowing it down will help alot and knowing you are not going to release the arrow.

This will help atleast the creeping....looks like the Expansion is there in some of your later shots so you have it built in.

Just clean up gettting to anchor bud (don't pull past and then settle back is all). That's what Rick W does and I am not sure it's the best....I shoot a bit that way still even after Rods class.....but hey it's what you make of it.

I am sure that bow will let you find that perfect form because you don't look like your fighting the weight at all.

Film some more as you get more used to it.....maybe just use that bow for a couple of weeks too so you can get used to her.

Cheers Jer

·
Premium Member
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Steve and Jer

I for ever more will be a work in process but I love it and I am having fun

Steve watching you shoot three under always tempted me and I get a lot from your vids

Make more :)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Friends don't let friends shoot three under...;)

I'm curious if you have any trouble with string/face contact when you shoot three under?

Every winter for the last few years I've tried to switch from split to three under and the one issue I can never correct is the string shredding my cheek and nose. I don't know if I just have a fat face or what the problem is but I go back to split every time. Obviously others don't have the problem or they wouldn't be shooting three under either.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Friends don't let friends shoot three under...;)

I'm curious if you have any trouble with string/face contact when you shoot three under?

Every winter for the last few years I've tried to switch from split to three under and the one issue I can never correct is the string shredding my cheek and nose. I don't know if I just have a fat face or what the problem is but I go back to split every time. Obviously others don't have the problem or they wouldn't be shooting three under either.

Good luck!
Easy

I am lucky that there does not seem to be any negatives with the switch

Scott Teaschner is a friend so he overnight end me a couple three under tabs that Rod designed and I am having at it

·
Premium Member
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When you switch - 2 week minimum on the bale before you start looking for results.

Rod Jenkins is the man if you want to take it to the next level.

We all have form flaws - except Jimmy ;-)
I would love to meet the man and I hope to soon

As for Jimmy he is picture perfect with either hand :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.