Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use a sling with their bowyer made bow, practice, 3d, and/or hunting? I read something about using one but I have only seen them used by Olympic shooters or compounds in tree stands.

Steve

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Absolutely, on every one I own, even if it's only a finger sling. Let's me stop that involuntary death clutch on my bow to keep from launching it and watching in horror as it does tip springs toward the target.

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
I second the finger sling. Very simple to make one yourself from a piece of shoelace or paracord and it doesn't require any attachment points on the bow itself.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Whatever works... I believe it's easy to train yourself into not using one, or to be comfortable in using a sling. I personally don't, and have yet to dr,op a bow in something like sixty years.:eek::)

Tom

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
I don't use a sling but it seems to me that if an archer chooses to use one, they should probably use it all the time. Otherwise, the dreaded bow drop may be just a matter of time.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I go with the sling.

Here is a good source.

I bought one and they are really well made and inexpensive.

http://www.ridgerunnerslings.com/

As has been stated, use one at all, better use one allways.

Had a $1200 recurve fly out of my hand, onto my crushed stone driveway the

first time I shot it (no sling) LOL

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I use the 15 year old wrist sling off of my old compound on one, seemed kinda comfortable...familiar... and a new paracord style on another. There's a new-to-me 15" camo'd Sky riser just about to make it's way to my rack, I promise that pretty lady will have a wrist sling on it....

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I don't use a sling. I've never had a problem with a loose enough grip to avoid torque and yet not lose the bow on the shot. I don't want to use one hunting and since that's what all my shooting is geared toward I shoot that way year round. Of course all of my bows are relatively light (mass) compared to a big heavy target rig and I'm assuming they are a little easier to control with a light grip.

No doubt a sling is the best way to go, but like everything in archery it comes down to what compromises are you comfortable with.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
I use finger slings on my FITA style barebow recurves. I had to get used to not using one on my longbows.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
With the Recurve bow,Absolutely !
An for several reasons.
#1,I always wish to hit what I shoot at and the dog collar wrist slings I use certainly do help that.
#2,I've never owned a bow I wanted to throw down the range,off the hill or out of a tree,,,,not at lest until I've got over myself ;^).
#3,the more of the bow reaction I can control or remove from the shot,the more the shot becomes about me, the less about the equipment I'm using.
My form of sling is a small dog collar that goes around the bow, usually sitting just below the grip section.
I place my hand through it from below and adjust the tension to where there's no more pressure than is required to prevent me from looseing the bow along with the arrow.
I'm the only Tradbow Hunter, Field shooter or 3D shooter I've ever seen in NZ that does use the sling.
So far there's no rule preventing it in any recurve glass of competition,,,,,,I just pray it stays that way.

In shooting the Longbow,I don't use one because I use a more controlling grip on the bow which means I shouldn't really need one.
I say shouldn't because in the past I have shot a longbow or two down range along with the arrow .
Plus the "real trad" boys would have a fit if I turned up in competition with a sling on board,an since I don't really like conflict that much, I'll give em' that one if only to keep the peace.

John.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really can't stand the shot feel of a regular bow mounted sling. The shot reaction of a finger sling feels the best but it's a pain and I've forgotten it in the past.
For bows with a removable grip I make a bow sling that feels a lot like a finger sling on the shot but is easier to remember because it's on the bow.
For bows without a removable grip I use a wrist sling.

-Grant

·
Super Moderator
2,648 Posts
I prefer not to use one. I like to keep things simple and convenient. However, I keep a finger sling in my quiver and use it now and then, even on longbows, to see if there is any change in impact location. That would indicate a problem with my grip affecting the action of the bow. - lbg

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
I have had success using a finger sling. It gets rid of the wild flyers but I fear it only masks a major flaw in my grip technique.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i started using a finger sling a few months ago and i believe it has tighten my groups. Only down side ive have noticed is that i have worked so hard at letting the bow jump towards the target that i am afraid to shoot without it, fearing the bow will end up down range.

Good luck

Jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts