Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not skilled enough to really be able to tell the difference at 80 yards. My four shot groups are both single rod and eve bar average around 12 points over 20 arrows each.

How much difference does a vee bar rig make to you?

·
j-san = Jason
1,692 Posts
Depending on the weight you have at the ends of the side rods, a v-bar set up can make a big difference. I used to shoot only a 30" long rod and later tried a v-bar with 12" side rods. I found my groups improved at the longer 70m and 90m distances, likely because the added mass dampened any twitches I had in my bow arm. It sure made my bow rather cumbersome, but it was worth it.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
I've no experience to answer your question but this PDF might help, with the explanations at least.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say that I was using the W&W CX2 carbon V bar 30" carbon single. Side bars ware carbon with one end cap weight on each.

Greysides, nice article. Have you shot your W&W riser yet? it was a pretty heavy riser.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
Rusty, I've 250 and 350 gram weights on it. It's as well balanced as the Moon with it's two weights inserted and a 190 gram weight on the front. Both are similarly decked out (ZT rest, Spig click plunger and bowsling). They weight the same 5.6#.
The only way I could get a tune for a recent competition was to use 34# Winstorm limbs on it. All the Border limbs were causing severe weak reactions, even though the OTF weight was less than with the Winstorms at about mid-adjustment. I took so long playing with limbs and arrow combo's that while I had a moderate tune I had no time to work on the other aspects before one of the years big field competitions. Still shot a personal best which I was quite chuffed about as I know I still have a lot of improvement to make. Best of all over the two days I beat Jane by three points. :)

The high grip was adapted to without bother, to the extent I can change risers to one with a low grip and not notice the difference. I'm not sure what that says about the calibre of the archer though. I can't really compare it to others as it's not really tuned up yet. I want to play more with tiller etc. But for the moment it's the best tuned set up I have so it's staying as is. I've new stiffer shafts to set up and once another set up is ready I'll revisit it with some better quality limbs.

It's a lovely colour, well admired and coveted wherever it goes. :)

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,759 Posts
I have shot with both a single long rod and V-bar setup and have not been able to get to the point where I can tell. I have not put enough time into it. I have asked the FITA guys I shoot with and it seems to be more art than science. That said, I do not recall seeing an experienced FITA shooter with just a long rod. I would like to spend more time with it but the reason I first started shooting barebow was so I would not have to haul all that extra stuff around.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I really like the feel of a v-bar set up. Logically it seems to me you want to get the weight away from center. A v-bar set up let's me run the weight I want and still have a balanced set up.

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)

·
j-san = Jason
1,692 Posts
I forgot to mention that a great v-bar is the Cartel adjustable angle v-bar. Got it from Lancaster. Really lets you fine tune your bow's balance to perfection. That or turn you into a OCD monster... My W&W Infinite riser lacks a 5/16" bushing for a back weight so the only way to add mass without off-balancing the bow is to utilize a v-bar and side rods. In some cases, you can control how the bow rolls forwards on the follow through by using different amounts of weight on either side or different length side rods.

Setting up a v-bar and side rods can be rather frustrating as it can serve as a double edge blade. It adds an additional dimension in bow balance and tuning that you otherwise would not have with just a long rod. Get it right, and your bow feels and shoots like a dream. Mess it up and your shooting can suffer. It can also get pretty expensive if you like to tinker with different lengths, weight, angles, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.