Trad Talk Forums banner

Simple general purpose hot sauce

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Bowmania 
#1 ·
Have been making this sauce with some variations lately. Shredder had a more elaborate recipe earlier on, this is as simple as can be.

A pound or so of fresh chillies
1/2 to 1 cup of table vinegar
1 tablespoon of salt

Remove the stems and roughly chop the chillies.
Add to a pan with other ingredients. Bring to a boil and then simmer under a lid on medium heat for 15 min or until the chillies have softened. Use a food processor to blend the mixture smooth. Strain if you want to remove the seeds. The sauce is ready for bottling and use. It keeps in cold for several weeks. But in our household it is eaten well before that...

Different chillies have different flavour. I used Rawit for the sauce in the pictures. It's also easy to add spices. Cumin, garlic, pepper, whatever you please. I used lime juice to replace half the vinegar.

I use an old-fashioned hand-cranked food mill with a fine enough strainer plate to catch the seeds.

Bonus: If you strain the seeds, add the pulp to a clean pan with a cup of good quality cooking oil. Heat gently and let let the pulp sit in warm oil for half an hour. Do not let the oil overheat, the idea is to infuse the flavour to the oil, not burn the seeds. Strain and let cool before bottling. Or leave the seeds in the oil.

Chilli oil adds wonderful heat to many dishes and is very convenient to use.

See less See more
Reactions: stevelong
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.