Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall I had to quit shooting fingers due to arthritis in my string fingers. I switched to a compound for about 3 months, but then couldn't stand carrying the weight of it.

I switched back to shooting recurves and longbows, but with a release. Then I bought my first metal risered bow, a Hoyt Gamemaster. In addition to shooting with a release, I added a used set of M1 Carbon/Foam limbs, a Terry Deluxe magnetic flipper rest with Cavalier Master plunger, a fiber optic site and recently switched to the TRU Ball Short-N-Sweet release.

I'm shooting more consistently and more accurately out to 20 yards with this combination at 46# than I was the compound at 56#. I'm shooting somewhere around 75-80 fps slower than with the compound, but with a 10+ gr/pdf arrow I'm shooting with 1 pin out to 20 yards and shooting very, very consistenly and accurate. I'm ready for the upcoming deer season to get here.

The deer season opens on Aug 15 th here in the Lowcountry of SC, but deer season doesn't start for me until the temps drop down into at least the 50s! I can't stand the heat and huidity of August and most of September while walking to my truck from the house, let alone walking through the woods with a treestand or ground blind on my back!!

Bill

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Hot and humid, indeed, but man it's pretty down there, Wildman. Spent 3 years of my Navy time living, hunting and fishing the woods (ah, the Francis Marion), fields and marshes of the low country. Have come back many, many times for those wonderful, mild-tempered fall hunts. Small deer but plentiful, and it does sound like you're ready. Even with the late-August/Sept. heat, I'll wager you are going to have a tough time keeping yourself out of the palmettos. Good shooting and good hunting.

Mike

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks fellas!

Oz,

When was you in the Navy down here? Since 1989? Or before?

Since Hulrricane Hugo came through in Sept 1989 the Francis Marion has not been the same. That's particularly true for the Hellhole Unit that I used to love to hunt. That was an apt name for it prior to Hugo, but it doesn't tell half the story post-Hugo. They never removed any of the trees that were knocked over and snapped in two by Hugo, except for removing them from the roads, of course.

I MAY be tempted to go out on Labor Day and try my luck, but I very likely will wait until sometime in October, if not later. I just don't enjoy being wet from head to toe by the time I get in position to hunt. And then there's the mosquitos, chiggers and rattlesnakes and cottonmouths to deal with, too!

I'll enjoy getting ready for when I can comfortably hunt while practicing on the indoor range at The Archery Shop!!

Bill

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Ah Bill just take a towel to wipe the sweat from your eyes and shoo away the bugs and snakes with. :) Now I would not do that for an old deer but you have to do anything you can to chase piggies. ;)

I am glad you are happy with your setup and are able to shoot it well.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
"Since 1989?" - Wow, Wildman, that would sure make me a spring chicken! Im afraid my Navy years there were 1973-1976. Although I've been back to fish and duckhunt fairly regularly, I haven't been in the FMarion since Hugo. Really sorry to hear so much of it was damaged. But I know there are lots of places in the low country for all those little Bobwhites to go, and presumably the deer. Good luck!

·
Just call me Mike
1,046 Posts
Hey Bill,
If I may. Since your using a release, you may want to try a rest geared towards release shooters. You dont have to, and might never tell the difference, but I believe the plungers and such are inteneded to combat side to side oscilation inherent with a finger release. With a Mechanical its more up and down. Just a thought.

Something as generic as a tiger tuff would work, but they are a pain to tune. the easiest are the micro adjustables, but alot of times the cost of these beauties can be prohibitive. Now since the drop aways and air rest magnetic types are all the rage, maybe the prices will come down a bit.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oz in OH said:
"Since 1989?" - Wow, Wildman, that would sure make me a spring chicken! Im afraid my Navy years there were 1973-1976. Although I've been back to fish and duckhunt fairly regularly, I haven't been in the FMarion since Hugo. Really sorry to hear so much of it was damaged. But I know there are lots of places in the low country for all those little Bobwhites to go, and presumably the deer. Good luck!
Oz,

You left Charleston around the time we got here, March 1976. Was you onboard a ship? If so, what ship? Or submarine? :)

Bill

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thisbucks4u said:
Hey Bill,
If I may. Since your using a release, you may want to try a rest geared towards release shooters. You dont have to, and might never tell the difference, but I believe the plungers and such are inteneded to combat side to side oscilation inherent with a finger release. With a Mechanical its more up and down. Just a thought.

Something as generic as a tiger tuff would work, but they are a pain to tune. the easiest are the micro adjustables, but alot of times the cost of these beauties can be prohibitive. Now since the drop aways and air rest magnetic types are all the rage, maybe the prices will come down a bit.
Best of luck.
TB4U,

The flipper rest is working great since I shoot feathers. If I switched to another type rest it would permit me to shoot vanes. However, I really like the feathers.

Plus, I'm using stick on flipper rests on my other bows, so I'm probably going to stay with the flipper rest all the way around.

Thanks!

Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I am new to this forum but I have been shooting a gamemaster for a while now and really like it. I did not know you could use ILF limbs on these risers, or did you have to do some sort of conversion to make this possible.

Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MEC said:
Hello,

I am new to this forum but I have been shooting a gamemaster for a while now and really like it. I did not know you could use ILF limbs on these risers, or did you have to do some sort of conversion to make this possible.

Thanks for your response.
MEC,

Yes, the ILF limbs have to be converted due to the pin in the riser of the Gamemaster. I didn't do the conversion, David at DAS Kinetics did it for me. In fact, he has a very nice Level II conversion for the Gamemaster in which he provides a set of Win & Win Pro Carbon ILF limbs as part of the conversion. You can get any optional length and weight you want, within limits. The weight ratings are for a 25" riser. With the Gamemaster having a 21" riser, the weight will be about 6# heavier than the ratings indicated, at least I think that is the direction it goes.

You can click on the DAS Kinetics banner at the top of the site and check out his offerings. If you opt to go that route, you will need to let him know it is for the Hoyt Gamemaster. I would suggest exchanging emails with him and discussing the draw weight you want to end up with, bow length, etc beforehand.

Bill

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I was on a sewerpipe, Wildman - USS Grayling SSN-646 (now retired). Went there after a stint in Two Corps, Republic of S. Vietnam. Charleston was just as hot and steamy as SE Asia, but a whole lot more fun!!! I love the food, the folks and the fishin'. All the good folks down there were just unbelievably welcoming to me and my compadres. After the less-than-stellar reception we had received coming back to the US in California, I started feeling like a citizen again. I can't stay away from the low country mostly because I will never forget or stop being grateful to its wonderful people for that experience.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oz in OH said:
I was on a sewerpipe, Wildman - USS Grayling SSN-646 (now retired). Went there after a stint in Two Corps, Republic of S. Vietnam. Charleston was just as hot and steamy as SE Asia, but a whole lot more fun!!! I love the food, the folks and the fishin'. All the good folks down there were just unbelievably welcoming to me and my compadres. After the less-than-stellar reception we had received coming back to the US in California, I started feeling like a citizen again. I can't stay away from the low country mostly because I will never forget or stop being grateful to its wonderful people for that experience.
Oz,

Was there a COB on the Grayling during any part of your tour by the name of EMCM Reese? He's a good friend of mine and a hunting buddy.

Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wildman how goes it?

I know what ya mean. Hunting in the Low Country in August is a true test of dedication. :) Between the humidity, bugs, heat, bugs, and banana spiders it's quite an adventure. :)

I may be coming down to hunt with Lee in August, just for old time sakes...:)

Wow it's amazing how many familur names I've come across on this site.:)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey TF,

I'm doing great, for an old man with worn out knees and shoulders! I've taken off about 37# since last July and need to take off 20 to 30 more before hunting season. I've got to get on my bicycle and start riding it in earnest.

Did you mention the rattlesnakes, water moccasins and copperheads in your list? If not, they have to be dealt with, too! And it is just too hot for snake boots in August and most of September!

Bill

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thunderflight said:
Wildman how goes it?

I know what ya mean. Hunting in the Low Country in August is a true test of dedication. :) Between the humidity, bugs, heat, bugs, and banana spiders it's quite an adventure.

I may be coming down to hunt with Lee in August, just for old time sakes...:)

Wow it's amazing how many familur names I've come across on this site.:)
THUNDER ,
LET'S TRY TO KEEP IT CLEAN ...:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts