Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own short and long Sanlida Miracle X8 limbs, both in the same poundage. Even though the short limbs are each 2 inches shorter than their long counterparts, measured from fade to tip they are only 1/2 inch shorter than the longs. The working parts of the short limbs are only half an inch shorter than the working portions of the long limbs. Most of the length difference between the limbs is in the non-working parts.

I was surprised at this, but it explains why I feel that the shorts don't draw that much different than the longs on the same riser. The finger pinch is greater, but the fee/effort of the draw is not that different.

So 75% of the difference between the longs and shorts I have is in the non-working parts of the limbs.

Question: is this true of most or all ILF limbs?

· Registered
3,378 Posts
There is difference.
DDD

· Registered
180 Posts
There is difference.
DDD
agreed. i tried a set of shorts vs longs and at my 29.5" draw, i felt the shorts didn't feel as smooth. Seemed stiffer. Felt like they shot quicker though. Didn't have my chrono to test at the time though. I might be able to get away with a set on a 21"+ riser but on my 17" I had at the time, definitely felt different.

· Premium Member
1,455 Posts
I think much would depend on your draw length but I see much less difference between short vs longs at 27” DL than I thought I would. But where length and performance isn’t a big issue I’ll stay with longs, they are just slightly smoother, but after shooting shorts that’s what will always be on my hunting bow. The shorts of the same limb and poundage seem to launch the arrows with much more authority. As far as finger pinch on my 19” riser with shorts I don’t notice a difference from longs.

· Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But the question: Are the working lengths (from fade to tip) of ILF short limbs only 1/2" shorter than the working lengths of ILF long limbs?

That is the case with my Sanlida X8 long and short limbs.

Is it also the case with other ILF limbs? With ILF limbs across the board?

· Premium Member
1,455 Posts
But the question: Are the working lengths (from fade to tip) of ILF short limbs only 1/2" shorter than the working lengths of ILF long limbs?

I think you also have the total length of the limb (lever) making a difference in performance between sizes, how much I don’t know.

· Premium Member
22,126 Posts

· Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But, but, but the question: Are the working lengths (from fade to tip) of ILF short limbs only 1/2" shorter than the working lengths of ILF long limbs?

Could someone please measure some short and long ILF limbs? Length from butt to end of fade. Total length. Two measurements for each limb. Thanks.

· Premium Member
22,126 Posts
Limb cores 2 1/2 x 2=5
Shorts on for instance a 21 make a 62 inch Bow.
21 minus 62 =41
5 minus 41=36
2 divided by 36=18
So shorts have 18 inches of limb but, that is only to the string nocks.
Correct my math, just doing it in my head.
If you count the Core the limb is 21 to the tips.
Longs? Do the math.
Longs on the 21 make a 66 inch Bow.

· Premium Member
22,126 Posts
But, but, but the question: Are the working lengths (from fade to tip) of ILF short limbs only 1/2" shorter than the working lengths of ILF long limbs?

Could someone please measure some short and long ILF limbs? Length from butt to end of fade. Total length. Two measurements for each limb. Thanks.
This might be different by maker, propriatary.

· Premium Member
1,455 Posts

I will tomorrow.

· Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, guys.

And I actually made a mistake. The length of the non-working part of my short limbs is 6.5" and 7.5" on my longs. So this makes the difference in working length between the shorts and longs 1". In the OP I wrote "1.5".

Even still, I'm surprised that half the difference in length between the short and long Sanlida X8s is in the non-working part of the limb. And I'm very curious if this relationship is common to ILF limbs, in general.

Here is a photo of the short and long limbs, where you can see the length from butt to fade is pretty dramatic:

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,455 Posts

I just measured my Tradtech BlackMax 2.0 short and longs and my shorts are 17.5 and the longs are 18”. I have to say I was a bit surprised at that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts