Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,

I am wanting to hunt with a 56inches or less recurve for my blinds. My 62inch zipper is just too long for my blinds. I have a 29.5 draw and shoot 3 under. any suggestions? i like the shrews but the wait is at least a year.

Thanks
Jon

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I'm long armed like that too, fought that battle and tried shorter bows. Ended up just buying a taller blind so I could be comfortable and shoot my 66". I bought a Baronett 350 with 6'8" of headroom, you could have a Laker's reunion in it.....

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
I have about a 28 inch draw and I do not like bows under 60 inches

The shortest bow I own is a 58 inch Silvertip and I wish it was 60

With your draw I would be looking at bows from Border, Dryad , Bigfoot that are ahorter than their designated length

My Border CH while being a 60 inch bow that utilizes a 59 inch string but is really only about 54 inches

Neat Huh :)

·
Bart Harmeling
3,384 Posts
Look into Dryad Epic Recurve limbs. Shorts on a 17" riser give a 58" bow, but because of the deeply recurved limbs the bow is about 1/2" longer than a 56" Grizzly. I have a longer draw than yours and I find this short bow to be very manageable.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Have you considered any of the korean horsebows? Or a modern equivalent with a shelf like a Kaya Khan which has a shelf which is 52" when strung?

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Budget? Anything either for or again ILF?

-Grant

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I shot a fadora that was a real short sweet bow. No hand shock to speak of. A guy that just happen to need someone to shoot with let me shoot it a few times. I was impressed.
Dan

·
Registered
502 Posts
Everyone is different. I hunt with a 58" recurve and pull it 30". No problems that I can see.

I'm plenty accurate with it for me. I have a high anchor and can get point on at 20-25 yards depending on arrow length, perfect for my hunting needs.

I can feel it stacking a little bit but I don't mind it. The draw is light enough that it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
http://www.salukibow.com/15.html

Saluki would be an option, they're accurate and fast...........

TURK

This bow may look like another deflex/reflex bow, but do not let the looks fool you. Compact and highly maneuverable, with many of the same qualities of the Ibex, but shorter for challenging hunting situations The limb design of this bow is derived from the short powerful horn composites of the antiquity. It is very smooth and the 54" version of this bow will almost give you a feel of a let off. Due to the unique tiller, which sets the string at a lesser angle at full draw, the Turk has none of the "finger pinch" associated with short bows. Don't let the shortness deceive you; it handles like a target recurve! The Turk is great in a tree stand or on a 3D course.

Very pleasant to shoot, it points right on the target and its performance rivals that of any top of the line hunting bow and more.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am open to anything.
The bows I own are black widow, zipper,Navajo, Horne, Bighorn, pronghorn. I have never tried ILF limbs or metal risers except for bowfishing. Price wise around 1,000. I have never messed with the horse bows or the like. I usually shoot full length goldtips that gives me a point on of about 25 yards or so.
Thanks and keep it coming.
I live in northwest OK and not a very many bow places that mess with traditional.

·
( Rob )
429 Posts
I have a Kodiak Mag I just received.. 52 in. I am drawing 28in , and did not like that
short of a bow. It won't be around long...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Check out TwoTracks "Ambush" 50" RC. I pull mine to 29.75" with no stacking. Chuck also makes the "Shrew" bows for Ron these days. If you want a short bow you can't go wrong with one, quick and quiet.
Don't shoot mine much, as I prefer longer bows (60" +), but every time I think of getting rid of it, I take it out and shoot it, and It goes back on the rack. Just shoots GREAT.
Cheers Dan

·
Barebow recurve
945 Posts
I suggest a taller blind instead of a shorter bow. 3Rivers Archery would be a good place to shop for those.

I have a 56" recurve but never shoot it because my 62" is so much more comfortable and accurate. I have a 28" draw.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Get more bows! I have a 56" Deflex Express by Bruin Archery. It draws without stacking out to 32". Also a Howatt Hi-Speed but without checking I want to say it's 58. Both are fire breathers.

I also have a Bear Grizzly that stacks big time right around 28. In my experience it's not the length of the bow, it's the skill of the bowyer.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Visit our sponsor forums and check out all they have to offer because they have what you need. Check out the three rivers Dalaa.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have an old browning nomad stalker, and at 6'8" my draw length is right about 33" I don't know where you could find one but I love the thing, it's smooth even with my ridiculous overdraw, and sends arrows like it means business!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Check out Fedora's bows. He makes them down to a one piece 52" "Stalker" with a real short riser. He also makes a take-down "Sickle" bow that is short and real fast.
His stuff is a bit pricey but real nice quality. You can always call him and tell him what you want so far as draw length and weight. He can tell you which would be best for you.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Morrison 13" riser and long Max1 limbs. Technically it is a 58" bow but once strung it will be just under 56".

-Grant

1 - 20 of 34 Posts