Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
I shoot recurve and longbow. I would say my shot is more of the classic vertical set up. For aiming I use gaping from the arrow or riser, string walking and will also throw on a Olympic style aperture sight on from time to time.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Split vision gap and three under with a high anchor. Very small gaps close and do not have much skill past 30 yards. I could shoot at 40 but never have much need to other than in practice. I believe we all should practice further out than we will need to shoot for hunting in practice. My style is almost automatic and not for Target shooting. If I were to shoot targets? I'd likely learn to stringwalk. Do not handicap yourself by limiting yourself on equipment and utilize everything you can when it is legal to do so.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Well . . . There are 13,701 registered members on this forum. You could start there . . .

:eek:

Mo' seriously, if you go to the top of the forums page and find the sticky "Tradtalk Classics" you will find an amazing amount of information about all aspects of trad archery, including aiming and form styles.

Regards,

Salskov

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Depends on the bow, distance and rules.
If given my choice it'll be stringwalking.

-Grant

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Right now I'm shooting a very target oriented style, up right and precise.
Discipline, both mind and body.
Intuitive gap aiming.

I Shoot a hunting bow in a more loose fashion but because I keep the shots very close I can still be accurate enough that most things I decide to shoot get shot an stay shot..

I alter my shooting form a little going from one type of bow to another, but not by very much.

Good repeatable form in any style of archery is a must have to shoot really well.

John.

·
Super Moderator
2,770 Posts
I shoot field archery, from 7 to 80 yards with longbows and target recurves. I aim instinctively to about 40 yards, gap aim off the arrow to 60, gap off the shelf to 80. When I am shooting well I am barely aware of the gaps to 60; I just yearn for the center and shoot by feel. - lbg

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
If you're not reading between the lines, IMO, the aiming method you use will most likely be greatly influenced by the direction you are most interested; ie, target archer or bowhunter. Not to say you can't be both.

My suggestion is to start out as a gap shooter, making careful notations, shooting out as far as you like. In doing that you'll learn a lot about you likes as to shooting gap, split or 3under… and anchor. You'll also in not to great a time learn that "gap" can (and does) turn into a near instinctive style, in that little thought is put into the aiming as it has become engrained into your subconscious. String walking isn't for everyone, but it can certainly can be learned after becoming a more experienced proficient archer. Good Luck. All the best.

Tom

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
Recurve, field and target, stringwalking.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
It depends...

If everything is right in my world that day and I'm feeling real relaxed and strong?...I grab my lightest weight 30# form/target rig and try real hard to be as pristine and precise as possible until I thoroughly Pi$$ myself off.

but...

If everything is wrong in my world that day and I'm feeling stressed and weak?...I grab my heaviest weight 44# hunt'in rig and go snap shoot the pi$$ out of it until I'm completely relaxed and feel better! :lol:

As far as aiming goes?...I discovered that even when I try to use GAP?...I tend to finish the shot off instinctively....every time....so?...

I just quit wasting time, energy and focus and cut out the middle man! :lol:

But we're all different....and it's a rare occasion that I do or even have the desire to shoot my stickbows beyond 30yds and even that's a stretch.

For me it works like this...if it's fun?....it's relaxing...and if I'm relaxed?...I'm plenty accurate enough to please me.

My best advice?...go shoot your bow...and "let it tell you" what kind of shooter/aimer you are...if you try one way and hate it?...stop...if you try the other way and can't put it down?...there ya go...and if you have a desire to improve?...keep a bridle on it...don't bite off more than you can chew...stick with your base form and methods...and slowly work on incorporating one improvement at a time....and if you sense yourself getting aggravated?...stop...and go back to what it was that drew you here in the first place...as some times?...the most difficult part of enjoying this is...

"Keeping It Fun"

I started shooting a bow when I was 7 or 8 years old....I'm almost 56 now...and I've yet to hear about the first archer ho became an overnight success...and Lord knows I've tried! :lol:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Jinks, you're a hoot, love the descriptions.

As far as a pure natural shot goes my 45 year old son is as close as I've seen. He started shooting at around 5 years old, turned to compound at 12 but shot instinctive. Moved to two wheel compound as teen ager and killed a deer at 15. Put the bow away to go to college, get married and raise two girls.

He showed up three years ago at the Baltimore Bowman Traditional Classic and I lent him my favorite bow, a 45# Damon Howatt Hunter from early 60s and he proceeded to whip my buddies like rented mules. They refused to believe he hadn't shot since he was a teen ager but it was true. Perfect form and release.

I gave him that bow two years ago for his birthday and some arrows and we fixed up the two girls with bows so hopefully they will shoot more with me. The older girl (11) is also a very good shot and driven archer.

His secret, he doesn't read archery forums so he doesn't know anything about shooting styles or target panic. I will never ask him about how he aims either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.