Trad Talk Forums banner

Shooting the final round with Dewayne my experience.

5K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  Demmer 
#1 · (Edited)
I wanted to share my experience shooting with Dewayne in the final round on Sunday. First off, I was nervous because up until that point we had never shot together, and had only spoke a few words up to that point. The first target wasn't nice to everyone in our group, and there was a sort of elevator silence for the next few targets. The mental game was trying to take over, but about the 6th target we all started to talk a bit more. Things were loosening up and everyone shot better.

My mind struggled to keep my shot sequence up to that point. Then, like a true gentleman he is, gave me some knuckles on a shot I was able to execute properly, and a compliment, the atmosphere had shifted at that point. From that point on we even joked about one of our favorite movies, discussed the plunger hole and it's importance in my bow because he had seen I had built up my shelf higher than the stock hump that's machined into my DAS riser. By the end of those 20 targets I felt I had made a new friend, because of the effort he made and the positive comments. Things he did not have to do, but did it anyway because that's how Dewayne is.

When I shot low and missed one in the final, there were no condescending looks or statements, we all moved on and I recovered nicely on the next target with an 11. More knuckles. The nervousness in the beginning was unfounded and I am proud to call Dewayne my friend, he is indeed one of the nicest guys, and a true gentleman. I appreciate the support and the positive comments, he is also one of the few that complimented my shooting, and in my opinion, an asset to the sport. Thanks for being you Dewayne!

So those that would call him "elite" don't know the person behind the titles. A great guy.

ps

"My hair"

See less See more
#18 ·
Even though I'm shooting from the same stakes!!!

Jason...I'm not going to string walk my anchor just doesn't lend itself to that!!

I don't know thwt I'm making the switch..

Still debating.

Dewayne

#25 ·
A misnomer - Dewayne...no just kidding. Many people think that because we want to win we hope the other guy shoots bad. That's simply not true. We all want to win - no question there. None of us spent all that time and money to go and be happy with losing, BUT we want to beat each other at our best. We love archery and know what it takes to make a good shot so we certainly appreciate our competitor's great shot.

You should see some of the rounds when we all go out for a fun round. You get a bit of relief at the stake but once that arrow goes off you're getting crap from every direction until you're back at the stake. We have a lot of fun that you don't see as much in the compound side of competitive archery. I've also shot some stuffy Barebow rounds in field.

I recall the first round I shot with Paul Vogel, Jennifer Stoner, Cay McManus and crowd. I got a Coke to drink and sat it on the ground to go shoot. Right as my shot went off I heard about 4 bows going off. I thought they were shooting at me. I turned around to see my Coke pinned to the ground with 4 arrows. "If you set it on the ground it's a target they said," and laughed. We got caught up behind a very slow Pro Compound group so we shot mushrooms out of boredom. The compound group was not amused....they let us shoot through.

Dewayne is a good friend of mine, but so is Cal and Demmer, and many many more. That's why I encourage others to come out and join us at the shoots. We have a lot of fun with a bow, and you can never have too many friends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.