Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always used tabs, even many years ago when I shot recurves. Now 9 months in to recurves shooting with tabs either 3 under or spit I’m thinking about trying a glove. I am shooting 35-45# 62” recurves for fun and plan to hunt with it one day. I want protection but not so thick I loose feel of the string.
At this stage I am still trying different things trying to establish aiming and technique that fits so I figured it would be a good time to try a glove.
Any suggestions on what gloves I need to look at?

· Registered
275 Posts
I've tried a few different ones and love this bearpaw leather glove. I can feel the string but no pain in my fingers shooting 45#. Doesn't twist on my fingers, very little break in time, and its only like $20 at lancaster. I bought another for back up.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
I have to recommend an American Leathers Kangaroo Crossover glove. Mine just passed the 5 year mark with some wear but not enough to show. It an’it cheap but it doesn’t get sloppy when your hand sweats. It has very thin inserts so I can still “feel” the string but no finger pain. I shoot bows from 45#-60#’s.

· Registered
691 Posts
Wasted a ton of money on gloves when I first started. I can’t say enough about the AL brand glove that Tom mentioned above. I have the Buffalo crossover for 2 years now. I will never buy another brand glove. While pricey, I can’t see you being disappointed. I can understand not wanting to spend alot on a glove in order to see if you like it but a lesser glove may not do justice to the experience. I had spent $15 to a tic above $30 for gloves in the past. The AL glove is over that by a pack of decent broadheads. If you don’t like that glove I can’t see you liking any glove. Not trying to spend you money for you but that is one way of looking at it.

· Registered
167 Posts
I shoot the Bearpaw on heavier bows; great balance between protection and being able to feel the string. I shoot the Kangaroo on lighter bows. Both are very durable, and my fingers remain comfortable at 29 1/4" draw. Hope you find one you like.

· Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a bit more difficult than I thought. I see something that might work and many reviews gives me pause. One thing that I’m seeing is finger inserts that some have an issue with but the hardest thing to pin down is fingertip thicknesses. I’m to old and have enough pain and issues to be dealing with pain or numbness in my fingers.
I think I’m going to check the two local bow shops and see if they carry any to try.

· Super curve shooter
196 Posts
This is a bit more difficult than I thought. I see something that might work and many reviews gives me pause. One thing that I'm seeing is finger inserts that some have an issue with but the hardest thing to pin down is fingertip thicknesses. I'm to old and have enough pain and issues to be dealing with pain or numbness in my fingers.
I think I'm going to check the two local bow shops and see if they carry any to try.
Hey man I have a bearpaw size large gloves that I bought when I was starting out and I don't use it anymore. if you want PM me your shipping address and I'll send it your way it's a little wrinkly from being stuffed in my bow box but it is still in good usable condition. When I needed help several people offered it up so this would be the least I could do. just let me know if you're interested.

· Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey man I have a bearpaw size large gloves that I bought when I was starting out and I don 't use it anymore. if you want PM me your shipping address and I'll send it your way it's a little wrinkly from being stuffed in my bow box but it is still in good usable condition. When I needed help several people offered it up so this would be the least I could do. just let me know if you're interested.
Thanks, I will PM you.

· Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I have a glove coming from Jeffro83.
After 9 months back into recurves I got a few things established. A great fit for me ILF bow that I shoot very well, shooting off the shelf, and shooting instinctive. The one thing I don’t have established is tab, glove, split finger, or three under. I have been shooting with a tab both split and three under. I never shot with a glove so I don’t know what I may be missing. Years ago I only shot split with a tab but always wanted to try a glove. At least I’ll be able to see if a glove is a direction I want to go.

· Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the shooting glove from Jeffro83 to day and after shooting a bit I found out I’m probably a glove guy. I never shot so good or consistent ever. The feel and control of my finger press on the string is what I’ve been looking for and never got from a tab.
Thanks Jeffro83.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
I understand finger issues. The trigger finger on my drawing hand was injured many years ago. As I got older tabs became uncomfortable to use. That finger felt every shot. I shoot split finger and thought that was why I have pain. So I tried 3under, just moved the pain to otherside of finger. Back to the glove.
Only downside with almost every glove I tried was the finger stalls stretching from the sweat of summer. Another note, American Leathers will if possible repair a glove. I just ordered a new one but was offered a repair for 1/3 the price of new one. I just may do that when new one arrives so I have a spare. Like you said old age an’it fun and things get misplaced easier.

· Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I looked hard at AL but reviews I’ve read and what I have read about them, I believe the tips would be too thick for me. I need to find a balance between feel and protection, also I shoot most every day and often a few times a day, I have a range in my yard.
The glove was the missing part of my traditional journey.
One thing is I am a hunter and have no interest in shooting much over 25yards, so that really simplifies things for me diving into traditional archery. But I have to say I really like it.

· Premium Member
14,604 Posts
glove guy here, tried several misc. tabs.
NOT GOOD, I can shoot with a tab, & shoot OK, but I never got really comfortable.
It might be that I didn't get "the right" tab, might not be the right fit, all of that.....
but my old OLD glove I use just feels like home, and I shoot good enough for me, so that's the deal, here. Honestly it's the only glove I really ever tried, and it's the one I got wayyy back when I got my first adult recurve in the 1970s. Yep probbbbly the first item ever sold with Velcro on it....haha.

· Registered
252 Posts
I hear ya! What you get used to is mighty hard to change. One of the challenges of being an old goat like me. You've lived long enough to find what you like and too stuborn to try something else to see if it's better!

· Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got the Dura Glove and it works well but I shoot everyday and my middle finger gets sore and I have to sop for a few days, I think I need to bump up the protection. I sure hate to spend the money but the Crossover Glove looks like what I might need.

· Registered
328 Posts
I wonder if grasping the bowstring with a deeper hook would help. Other posts here lead me to try that and it helped avoid fingertip pain. I place the string a bit closer to my palm than the crease in the middle finger joint that is nearest the fingertip. Even through a glove I feel a bit of finger skin kind of trapped between the string and the joint crease.
On my hand this places the bowstring in the crease of my index and ring fingers. But that pinch of skin on the middle finger is “the hook” for me, and it leads to a better sense of pressure balance on the fingers above and below at full draw.
The bowstring used to slap my face with some force if I plucked at all during release. With a deeper string grab that problem has largely gone away. I still get a polite face slap to remind me not to pluck, but I don’t stagger from the pain anymore, lol.
If you’re drawing the bowstring with it placed on the tip pads of your string fingers, you might try a deeper grab.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts