Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have shot now this spring at 3 different locations. Two of the three had the stakes set up for re-curve and long bow shooters 15 yards or less for all 30 targets.

My question is do any of you shoot in other classes to increase the challenge. I'm thinking of shooting in the hunter class, I think it is out to 35 yards and I would be competing against fixed sights and releases.

Lastly of the three I've shot at only one has had more than 3 competitors in my class. Really hard to get excited about winning, so I've been shooting against my previous scores at those courses. I plan on shooting at Cloverdale this year at trad. Nationals and would like to be ready for the quality competition that I will see there.

:shooting:

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I shoot with barebow compound guys if that class is there. Max at Cloverdale is 33. I like to practice regularly at least 50% further than Max yardage. Nothing will rattle you faster than stepping up to the stake and thinking "holy crap that's far"

·
Registered
9,459 Posts
Yeah you need to be comfortable from 15 to 33yd so I agree with the guys here. Shoot from the longer stakes and try to get to a couple of bigger shoots.
I am the only RU guy most weeks so shoot in HF or Compound BB.
Another thing to do is to challenge yourself every time. Shoot from longer stakes and count 5's as zero. Win your class like that on you're good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Unfortunately most of the compound guys who sets the stakes at most of the 3-D shoots don't think a trad shooter can hit anything past 10 yards so they stretch us to 15.

Not to sound harsh but we all know that ALOT of the trad shooters struggle past 15 especially the ones that shoot instinctive...if you don't believe me just watch the ones that show up at your next shoot.

Come to the IBO Traditional World Championship knowing you're going to have to be able to shoot 30-32 yards quiet frequently and score well.

Dewayne Martin

·
finger shooter
3,439 Posts
Come on out and shoot a Safari... we shoot to 101-102 yards at 3D animals.... :) Redding is in a few weeks... nothing like an 88 yard shot at a big bull elk, that warms you up for the 101 at bigfoot.

·
Registered
623 Posts
My 9 year old daughter frequently gets bored shooting from the cub stake. Last week at the IBO west coast, about halfway through she switched to shooting from the longbow stake. It definitely cost her a bunch of points but she was having fun.

If there's a trad long and a trad short I usually shoot whichever has more shooters.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did a small 3d shoot a couple of weeks ago. When I registered I asked where I should shoot from as they didn't have traditional listed just mens womens and kids stakes. They gave me a funny look and said wherever you want as you are the only one with a recurve. I shot with several compound buddies. There eyes were opened quite wide when I shot from their stakes and did quite well. It was a lot more fun to be challenged.

Tim

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I plan on shooting at Cloverdale this year at trad. Nationals and would like to be ready for the quality competition that I will see there.

:shooting:
I assume you're talking about the big shoot in Cloverdale mid-June? I was there once several years ago. From what I remember, most shots were 18-27 yards or so with bonus targets being somewhat longer. It's a nice time, and the course is extremely well laid out, but I would have to call it more of a fun shoot than an actual competition.

Everything is on the honor system, so you can shoot with your buddies or even by yourself. If you bring a selfbow, longbow and a recurve, you can shoot the course over and over again just by switching classes. When you let people shoot the same course multiple times for score, it defeats the whole point of unknown yardage.

If you want to see a real competition with some of the best stickbow shooters in the nation (and many from other countries), wait a month and come to the I.B.O. Traditional World Championship in July. It's at the same club in Cloverdale, IN, and the talent pool on hand is second to none. Just the educational value is well worth the time and money.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Locally, in our 3D league, we have a white stake that is supposed to be 25 yds max (sometimes they crank it further but that's ok). It works well for me, because I plan on shooting longbow this spring and summer, and IBO longbow is 25 yd max (+ 10%). Typical IBO longbow average shot I would say is 17 yds, but range mostly from 15 to 23 yds, with the occasional real close one (10 yds) and a far one (28 yds). Anyway, like the others have said the best way to prepare is to shoot at the long distances so you dont get freaked out in competition. Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
was out at the range on Saturday and was shooting with compounders out to 42 yards.
most of my shooting is 35 yards.
only lost 4 arrows on the first ten targets.
white fletching and 6" of snow don't help.
if I have to shoot at 15 yards all day I would fall a sleep.
not to mention all the tricky shots I challenge myself with.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I am glad to see other recurve and longbow shooters giving the thumbs down to the "trad" stakes. I get tired of hearing "real hunting shots" or " to many lost arrows". At our last shoot I was told to put out the stakes. If the target was under 30yards I put the stake with the compound stake. Funny, no one complained about "long shots". Sometimes I believe guys are afraid to lose an arrow or two. I seem to "bear down" and shoot better when. I misplace an arrow.
A little rant? Yes, I suppose please forgive.

·
Registered
9,459 Posts
Why is 3D still limited to these "hunting" distance shots here anyway. I say just have one stake for all bow classes and have at it. 55yd max, distance decided by size of kill, raccoon 20yd, elk 55yd etc. The squat and fart boys may struggle at 15yds still but those of us who take their shooting seriously can shoot longer distances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.