Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been shooting at longer distances the last few days. It's been a nice change from the constant 18m I've been shooting at.

Today I decided to use the same gap from 15m to 38m just to see what happened. The results were strange as although I thought I was using the same gap I must have adjusted something as the arrows were landing in roughly the same area. I should add that I put a flipper rest on and retuned my bow with a slower string to sort out my arrow issue.

I was going to post a picture but realized I was shooting at a target bag with no marking on it. I found an old fertilizer bag with a nice cross on it so you could see what I was aiming at. These were the first shots I fired into the new target.

Arrows were shot fro 15m, 20m,25m, 30m, bare shaft at 35m and the arrow 6" Edit 8" to the left was at 38m.

The results were not normal and probably lucky though I would like to assume a small bit of skill was involved!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
That's normal for me as well. The only issue I had was trying to gap 2 feet low and consistently hitting the bull while shooting at targets with nothing to gap off of.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
DaveV, yeah, user error. Edit: (That was probably the "normal" shot for me, the others were more than likely user error!!!)

Like I say, I have only been shooting at these distances for a few days.

I can't see that I used the same gap as that would seem impossible. I can only assume I somehow adjusted the gap in my mind but my eye was seeing the same gap....if that makes sense!

The arrows are 345gr and chronied at 194fps with the limbs wound right out. I wound them in 1 1/4 turns so they may be 3 or 4 fps up.

·
Registered
546 Posts
It is a neat optical illusion. I can use the same hold on say a deer target - point at about his feet at 15, 20, 25 - at 30 I have to adjust a bit for drop. What I think happens is the perspective of the animal gets smaller, yet I still hold the same -at the feet- the gap is actually reduced because of the way the animal looks at a distance compensating for the distance increase. This is why I say that instinctive works best from 15-25 yards where the gaps are all about the same.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Rod Jenkins mathematical break down of his gap system shows the arrow crossing it's own line at different distances while using the same gap.

Pretty much as ericks puts it.
Before the half way point the arrow it climbing, after that it's dropping.
The midway point will be your greatest error.
Anything above or below that is a form mistake not an aiming mistake.
The actual hold under inside your point on is very minor.

John.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm not sure if this is what you're describing, but Rod Jenkins diagrams in one of the MBB DVD's that the your maximum gap will be precisely 1/2 the point-on distance. I think his diagram indicates the arrow trajectory will intersect the straight imaginary line of sight twice, at roughly the 1/4 and 3/4 of that distance. Correct this if needed and you've seen the vid, my mind nor memory aren't the "steel traps" that they used to be!

·
Registered
546 Posts
The arrow does have a trajectory that passes through the line of sight twice - the optical illusion accounts for the drop at about the same rate that the object looks smaller at a distance. This gap method has to be measured at the arrow point under the target.

·
Super Moderator
2,771 Posts
They eye does not see gaps as we usually think of them in archery- in a vertical line expressed in inches, feet or centimeters. We have to calculate or estimate that in numbers from what the eye does see: images of objects, lines and angles. Those don't change a lot from 10 to 30 yards. Beyond there we have to start raising the line of the arrow shaft to a higher angle. You can just see that as it is, or you can convert it to vertical measurement in numbers. I try to minimize the use of numbers and shoot by the visual images. Make more use of the aimer and less of the thinker.

I heard of a tribe that has only two numbers: one and two. Beyond that everything is just 'many'. Yet they hunt with bows and arrows. But not by the numbers. - lbg

Reactions: Zulu
1 - 15 of 15 Posts