Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site and am considering getting into competitive shooting. My interests lie in more of the "traditional" aspects of archery meaning sticking with a hunting type of R/D longbow, recurve, or D shape longbow, no stabilizers, plunger rests, etc. Is there a class for such? If so, which organizations offer this and how do I get started? What type of score should I be able to shoot to avoid embarrassing myself? I've done some searches on this site but haven't been able to find an answer to this yet. Thank in advance.

· Registered
1,210 Posts
IBO, NFAA, USA-naa, ASA in a word, they all do. That being said you will get hooked on it all ! LOL I like Long Bow some like Recurve pick what you think is more along the lines of what you like the most and stay with it. Come to the shoots and see what everyone is using and how they are shooting them. Trad Worlds are in two weeks take time and come talk to everyone except Demmer LOL. If you come to a shoot like this it may save you time and money down the road. Where in Pa. do you live. Cal

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in SE PA, near Reading. I would love to come check out some of these larger shoots but didn't know how they worked regarding spectators. Do both the recurve and longbow class require wooden arrows or does that vary depending on the organization?

· Registered
1,672 Posts
Keith at the IBO Trad Worlds in 2 weeks you can shoot wood arrows from a longbow in the Longbow class or you can shoot carbon arrows from a longbow in the Modern Longbow class...lots of options..you can shoot any arrow in the Recurve class.

Come out and play with the rest of us its a great place to learn from some of the best shooters in the country,ask questions get some pointers...that's what we all do.

Don't worry about a score just go and have a good time shoot the best you can,leave with knowing what you need to work on...might be yardage,nerves,form..just leave with something to help.

Hope this helps,

Dewayne Martin

Reactions: ben maher

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank to all for the advise. Unfortunately I didn't realize the IBO Worlds are being held in Indiana. That pretty much eliminates the chance of me getting there to check those out. Are there smaller qualifying tournaments held on the state level to go see?

· Registered
2,805 Posts
Wear your sunglasses, especially if Calvin is wearing shorts. Dont eat till after you see that either.

· Registered
882 Posts
Keith, there are lots of clubs in our area. Most people shoot compounds, but anyone is welcome and encouraged at the clubs I know.

Check out Reading Archery Club and Stowe Archers. This time of year it's all about 3D animal targets outdoors, but there are still field archery leagues and tournaments in this area too. If you want to shoot indoor targets now, you'd probably have the club to yourself.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've shot 3D in the past and after a break from shooting altogether I'm ready to get back in with a little different focus than in the past. Before I just wanted to be proficient enough to hunt. Now I'm more interested in shooting for the joy of shooting. I thought I might enjoy the competitive aspect of it and not sure how to get started. The IBO along with the other websites I found didn't give much information regarding how the organization works. Are there regional qualifiers? If so where and when? I'm trying to piece everything together to see if it's even possible for me to make it to the shoots I would need to even try to participate. That's where I was hoping someone could fill in the blanks for me.

· Registered
2,925 Posts
Regular Ibo worlds is the only shoot you need to qualify for. They others just go to the sign in booth and shoot. If you go to trad worlds, you can go to regular worlds without qualifying. There are qualifiers, but i don't know if there is a listing anywhere. A lot of times they aren't planned very far in advance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.