Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since switching to ILF I've found that my "go to" settings transitioned pretty much intact. By that I mean for many years I've shot purely off the shelf (sealskin rest/calf hair sideplate), 3 under, nock point 5/8ths high, even tiller. I've got a W&W Black Wolf specifically to try with an elevated rest. My question is whether any of these settings are obviously less compatible with an elevated rest to get me up the learning curve a little quicker. The riser looks to be cut well past center but if the transition doesn't pan out for me, I'll probably revert back and build a bump with felt pads and use a plunger. Some of the rests I'm trying are Spig wire w/plunger, NAP Centerest, although the first will be a Springy so I can experiment with string walking. It came with a Hoyt stick-on and my only impressions thus far is that I've always used the cock fletch to nose as a second anchor. For some reason that orientation feels different, which I don't quite understand. You would think that with my 3U still touching the nock the fletch would still come back the same in relation to touching my nose, but it doesn't feel exactly the same. Not a big deal because I know if I SW, the fletching is is going to be nowhere near my nose. Thanks for all recommendations. Trying something different I always like to start here...saves on bruised foreheads from self abuse!

·
Premium Member
12,636 Posts
The cock fletch might feel a bit different than before, for several reasons, haha MORE than I can think of.
The stick on rest might have it (fletch) be higher than your old relationship, to the nose, and also since you mention the WW riser is cut well past center, the fletch might be a bit farther away from your nose, so you might be "feeling" that difference, and also - to get the "touch" you might be "reaching" some head/neck-wise to get the same "touch" as before.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
The feather on you nose will be the same but the alignment (line of force) with your bow arm is different. Different pressure points relative to the center of the bow between your other bows, different grips, and different tiller adjustments can all play a part in the bow not feeling quite right.

As a wild guess add a turn of preload to the top limb and see how it feels.

Rasyad

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I am still scratching my head, but I've jumped 2 spines softer going from shelf to rest/plunger. I've also went from high nock to extremely low as in 5/16" to top of arrow nock. My point on also shortened to about 24yds instead of 30.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had my RCX-17 setup with an AAE Champion II rest and Shibuya DX plunger, worked great for me like that shooting three under.
Nock point was a little over 1/2" high with a lower point tied on as well.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I was wondering does coming up the string that 1/2 inch or so change the load balance on the limbs enough to require a tiller adjustment?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I doubt it very much. Or at least doubt most would feel that slight of a difference.
I've read accounts of people tuning and shooting the same bow from positive 1/4 to negative 1/4 with little difference in results, or feel. Others tune tiller untill the bow sets on target without felling like you are pulling the bow up or down.
If you set tiller even, then set your nock point you can change tiller a little each way and then see for yourself what occurs.
I also read a post from someone who had no luck getting his RCX 17 to shoot well off the shelf, but had no problems when using an elevated rest.
You could investigate that as well and see what you find between the two.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I didn't explain it well. When I shoot risers designed to be shot off the shelf there is a perception that the pressure point at he base of the thumb on the bow hand and my 3U draw are on the same horizontal "plane". Maybe it's just a mental thing and I'll get used to it, but you'd think when you raise the arrow and draw point on the string 1/2" or so above the shelf and bow hand with an elevated rest that your draw hand is now more offset in the horizontal plane, which might load the limbs differently and require a slight tiller adjustment. Maybe target limbs are tillered specifically to be shot with elevated rests, I don't know. Like I said, I'm new to this. To put it differently, shooting off the shelf I've never perceived anything but straight forward jump of the riser at the push/pull of the shot and now there seems to be a bit of tipping forward of the top limb. Could all be in my head with trying something new.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Our biomechanics are all a bit different between archers, and that's one reason ILF works so well for so many.
You can tailor that feel to you with a little tiller tuning. You should be able to find that happy place wether off the shelf or off the rest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts