Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suffer from constant low nock flight so I always end up with a high nock point, I shoot 3 under.
I can't find it now, but I recall someone posting about the shelf material causing this, to some degree. How about furniture pad vs leather vs velcro as a shelf pad?
I have some bad tendons in the hand so a lot of it is me.

Reactions: Sam Dunham

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think it is tiller more than anything. 3 under loads the lower limb more, and to accommodate that you need to move the nock point higher, or use a negative tiller to balance the pull. I can't think of how the shelf material could cause your arrow to fly nock low.

How high is your nock point?

·
Registered
630 Posts
When Im fighting wierd nock issues I generally can sus it out with grip pressure. Kind of why I am picky about grips.
Idk about materials and its effect on tune other than building out my strike plate though.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Theres 2 things to consider with pad material.

1 The thicker the material the more it changes the mechanics of the bow - this obviously effects tune. Its the same as building out your side plate or rasing your rest.

2 The other effect is damping. Furniture pads or Velcro is going to have much more damping than smooth wood or a thin leather. The damping will effect tune but thats not why you want it. You want the damping because it reduces the effect of inconsistencies in your release.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I suffer from constant low nock flight so I always end up with a high nock point, I shoot 3 under.
I can't find it now, but I recall someone posting about the shelf material causing this, to some degree. How about furniture pad vs leather vs velcro as a shelf pad?
I have some bad tendons in the hand so a lot of it is me.
Have you tried two nocking points on your string?

How would describe in percentages the pressure across the 3 fingers?

Is your tab wider than your fingers when on the string?

How is your bow tillered?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Hi Bill,

I wouldn't disagree with anything above. Especially two nocking points.

I used to have the same problem with my split finger hook. I discovered a couple of things. One is torquing the string. Use a string bow to see if you are. We all torque to some degree, but in extreme cases at the second of release the nocking point can be moving up or down in addition to forward. That has to do with Remote's mention of pressure. Should be 40/50/10%. Most likely that third finger pressure is too high. Torquing towards your right ear if you're right handed.

Second, check the first picture of arrows in the target at Fender Archery. It shows bare shafts above fletched meaning too low with the nocking point, BUT take a look at the angle of the bare shafts. Nock below point. IF you have bares above fletched and nock ABOVE point, the rear of the arrow hit the shelf making it look too high. For me, the difference in this configuration can be a strand of serving string too high or low.

Bowmania

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys went into a lot of detail. I was looking for a generalization. Looking at furnature pad, 5/8" high nock vs thin leather, 5/8" high nock.
Yes, two nock sets. Todd, given the tendon issue in that hand, I drag the third finger so I have to do as Sam illustrates.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts