Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at what I think are the current (2022) rules, there is no mention of legality or lack of legality for putting something under the shelf rug to give better clearance when shelf shooting.

The arrow rest can be a simple plastic self-adhesive arrow rest, a feather rest as supplied by the manufacturer or the athlete can use the bow shelf. If the athlete choses to use the shelf, the shelf may be covered with any type of material (on shelf only). The vertical part of the sight window may be protected by material which shall not raise more than 1 cm above the resting arrow or be thicker than 3 mm, measured from the riser directly adjacent to the material. No other types or arrow rests shall be allowed.

I don't like plastic arrow rests on wooden bows, for meaningless aesthetic reasons. I try it and even if it tunes perfectly I end up ripping it off. My Buck Trail Nobleton, which I bought for the Trad Division doesn't like being shot off the shelf without something under the rug (I'm experienced at bareshaft tuning and have put hours into it to no avail), but shoots well with half a chopstick at the apex of the shelf radius.

Any ideas as to 'hump' shelf legality?

· Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not use a feather rest?
Confused by their allowance as they say only permitted "as supplied by the manufacturer". Surely they mean feather rest manufacturer? Also worry about their performance in damp/wet weather. Where I am now shoots are commonly rain or shine.

· Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

· Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Based on?
The brush para-rest is a self-adhesive elevated rest. You can cover it with a peace of thin leather and obtain the “toothbrush elevated rest”
Rules say "simple plastic self-adhesive arrow rest" and a Feather Rest are the only two rests allowed. The toothbrush rest is not made of feathers and does not seem to me a simple plastic rest. I take it they mean of the Bear Weather Rest sort, or your classic Hoyt Super Rest. Hope I'm wrong.

· Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Check the para-rest. It's plastic self-adhesive rest - how it holds the arrow is not important - without a possibility to make it adjustable. I would go so far to send it to the WA arbiters to rule against or not. I actually will do it.
Pls let us know if you get a response from the arbiters. A brush/para rest is very attractive to me considering criterion of all weather consistency, durability and performance, and with a long history of successful use. Also don't mind how they look too, when black at least.

· Registered
1,858 Posts
I've got the answer back:

"I have confirmed with the Judge committee, the brush rest would not be allowed under the current rules."

It is what it is. The rules can be changed if someone wants to raise the case of the brush rest.

· Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've got the answer back:

"I have confirmed with the Judge committee, the brush rest would not be allowed under the current rules."

It is what it is. The rules can be changed if someone wants to raise the case of the brush rest.
Damn, thanks for getting back about it. Was getting excited to try a para rest on this riser. Will order a couple of Bear Weatherrests and be done with it.

· Registered
637 Posts
I Sent a picture of my original set up to Ryan Rossing with a Weatherest on my riser and was advised to change it out for a Hoyt Superest for better results. Can’t say that I noticed much difference to start with and nobody likes a white rest but who am I to argue? Found some black colored Superests with a Mybo brand on them on eBay that are comparable and I’m content. Despite the Superest thinner design, I have yet to have a failure with one and so cheap, I have many spares.

· Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Try feather rests. They are the most forgiving rest, and I use for hunting. I put a little dab of waterproofing on the rest.
Thanks, I really like feather rests and this would be my solution. The issue with feather rests however is they are no good in rain, and local comps are typically "rain or shine".

This is rainforest country, a region I have been hunting the last couple of years. We just moved here permanently. Always off the shelf for me here as rests of any sort don't last long - bent or torn off, thick grasses, vines and dense shrubs in contact with the bow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts