Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot my bows off the shelf and also use rests.
I make my own recurves and they shoot good.
I also ward with my limbs and this lead to a question.

Bows can be shot either off the shelf or a rest so I wonder why not build a shelf
As high as a rest would be?
I'm sure there's a reason bows off the shelf are built lower than
Burger button height. I don't know how many of you build bows but you all shoot a lot and
have tried bow ways on the same bow.
What compensations or adjustments do you make in going from one to the other?

Thanks,
Lou

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
There is talk of closer to hand being more accurate for the look and shoot crowd. I think there could be some dynamics involved with lowering the rest and nock location, so I build my shelf up to the plunger location. It may not make a difference but that's how I do it.

·
j-san = Jason
1,680 Posts
Might there be more of a benefit to having a bow shooting as close to center as possible for ease of tillering? As I understand it, we hold the bow at or very close to the center and have the arrow resting above center. I know I've seen some folks who have set up their rests really high on the sight window and that makes me wonder what their tiller is set at.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I've always built my ILF bows up to the height of the plunger hole....maybe it means nothing but I know the entire riser is built around the plunger hole height.

Dewayne Martin

Reactions: DDD

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've always built my ILF bows up to the height of the plunger hole....maybe it means nothing but I know the entire riser is built around the plunger hole height.

Dewayne Martin
What do you use to build the shelf up with? I have seen Bondo and JBWeld, but some I have seen do not cover the entire shelf, only the part right next to the sight window. I don't see how this is much different than shooting off a rest. Do you build up the entire shelf? I will be faced with the same situation soon when I get some WARF risers back from Sam, that's why I ask.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
If I understand you correctly you want to shoot of the shelf with a Berger Button? If it was me I would relocate the hole to a lower position rather than try and make the shelf higher with whatever. You are also going to need a shelf material that will not flatten with an arrow on it. Is this setup for a competition class you want to compete in? If not I would use the Berger button with a raised rest.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so it's being done but did you change tiller or nock height relative to square?
There's several schools of thought and I'm not after the sight picture or
Looks, I'm interested in arrow flight and why a bow is able to tune 1.5 inches apart.
Tiller is based on the shooter I think more so than arrow height. I've gone negative
tiller and bows shoot good.
If one is as good as the other than the point is moot and low may look better. In my mind
One must be better. Bows are made balanced with throats above, on or below center and
in some cases one limb shorter than the other, stronger stack and so on.
That is why not all bows shoot good for everyone.
Its crazy how much can be manipulated knowingly or not on these things.

Next chance you get put a Fox triple crown next to a 21st century of same o.a.l.
Both good bows yet despite initial looks, not the same. Trace them on paper and
They appear to be off the same form they are so similar.

So back to the initial quest.
Since we grip the bow below center, maybe it is better at the higher position as it will
tend to offset one another.. as you move one thing, something else is changed at the same time.
That's the way of these complicated machines. The fact that many people shoot Nock high
for good lift off makes me believe that good balance is in an unbalanced place..
Makes me laugh too.

Lou

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.