Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had some empty space in the backyard from century plant that bloomed and died-off. The century plant was to big for the space anyway, but the stalk that grew up was over 30ft tall before I cut it down...
So I made a "Shed garden" by setting out some dead cholla cactus, sheds, deadheads (deer, java and 'yote skulls), indian artifacts from NY and AZ, WW2 gunnery range finds and finds from my scouting trips, bullet cases from deep in to clam shells??? found on MT tops...

·
Premium Member
13,554 Posts
I had to look up "century plant". Now I know.
Tell me more about CLAM SHELLS on mountain tops......
Thanks for the pictures & stories, not just on this thread, too.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a clam shell along a ridge finger coming off one of the peaks of the Santa Rita Mountains, not near any human trails, and old, it's about 400miles from salt water...
I'm guessing it was a trade item of the Hohokam indians, used for ornaments, Just goes to show that even though silver, gold, copper and turquioise(sp) were common for NA women to have, they just HAD to have something different to show-off hehehe...
Anasazi used different sea-shells for ornaments, trade-routes were often long, bringing different materials for items not native to an area... An early form of "Look what I have!!!"...

·
Premium Member
13,554 Posts
Yep, "show & tell" was a thing, even before I went to school, haha.
OK, so the clam shell "migrated" to the mountain top.
I liked the mystical mental picture I had of the earth being different a long time ago, and that the clam shell got there - - not by transplant......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.