Trad Talk Forums banner

Shakespeare QT to pass around.

3K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  stevelong 
#1 ·
I think so much of this 17" riser that I can't keep it to myself any longer. This beats the other 17" risers I have shot.
I would like to pass it around to any of the regulars here on TT who would like to try it. I will ship it to the first one who reply's to this thread that they wish to evaluate it, pm's me there address. All I ask is that you pay insured shipping to the next guy.
When you recieve the riser post on this thread that you have recieved it, shoot for a while, post your opinion and send it on.
This is my go to hunting riser I would like to get back in time for Colorado Elk season next year. I trust all the regulars on here and have no doubt I will get it back.
This is a ILF riser, I'll send a string for long limbs with riser.
Bryan

#5 ·
Tempted, I've never shot anything shorter then 23" in ILF format. Maybe if its going to make part of it's circuit in the PNW I'll sign-up.

-Grant

#9 ·
I don't want to have to manage a list so let's make it real simple.
Whomever has the riser at the time will be responsible for who gets it next.
When your done with it and ready to pass it on, let us know how you like or not by posting on this thread and that you are ready to pass it on. The first one to respond is where it will go next.
My hope is that eveyone who wants to shoot it can. I really would like to find out how it stacks up to other short risers. Das, Sky, Morrison or Titan to name a few. I don't need it back for 8 months so have fun with it.
Si, before you put that on ebay let one of us have a chance at it. I assume that it is a Shakespeare QT recurve that has not been converted to ILF.

#10 ·
I am posted this as a new thread and on Broadside's (Bryan's) recent thread to pass around a Shakespeare 17" riser.
Question 1- What criteria determines how one riser outperforms or is better than another? Speed,hand shock, feel etc.
Question 2- I am sure there has been a thread on riser lengths regarding two risers of the same length have different measurements between the anchor bolts thus giving two different bow lengths with the same limbs. I have too many risers but here is my list and their measurements:
RISER TOTAL LENGTH BOLT TO BOLT
Pearson wood 21" 15"
Martin Jaguar 18 13.25
Shakespeare QT 17 12
Tradtech Galaxy 17.75 12.5
Bear 76er 17.5 12
Black Bear 21 16
23" Kap 22.5 17.5
browning micro 16.75 12.5
Hoyt 16 Medalist 16 10.5
Hoyt 20 Med. 19.75 14
Indian deer slayer 16 11.5

Another note- The QT has a 16 degree angle on the limb pad. I just thought the information above might be helpful for the riser comparisons.

#11 ·
Bryan,

The QT was waiting on me when I got home from work this afternoon. Great looking conversion you did, and oh boy the grip is like putting your hand in a well worn leather glove, a perfect fit.

I hope to get home early enough tomorrow to do some tuning and take some pics before dark.

Thanks for the opportunity,
Dave

#12 ·
BRYAN, Whisperbow calls the QT as having a 16* angle, did you retain this?
THis might make a good longbow riser.....your thoughts?
I might try it with my Morrison longbow limbs, if AA ever turns loose of it, haha
Thanks.

#16 · (Edited)
This QT riser sure does make a sweet shooting little bow. I mated it with a set of long KAP Winstorm Carbons pulling 54# at my 32" draw, and an "A" SRF. Arrows are full length (33") Easton Axis .300 and bare shaft groups were best with 200 gr. points leading the way.

As far as my "review" goes, I must say this setup is a joy to shoot. Its quieter than the Titan I owned and as quiet as my Dalaa. The only negative I see is that I'll most likely never own one because of its uniqueness.

I was finally able to get to the woods with the QT. The wind had been from the NW all day, so I decided try a spot I had not been to all season. As luck would have it, as soon as I got settled in my tree I felt the wind hit the back of my neck. Crap, that aint good, now its blowing from the East right into the bedding area. So, I climb down, take a pic of the QT up against a big old Bay tree and decide to do a quick exit.

If its alright with everybody, I'd like to keep it through the rest of this month and then send it on its way to Steve. I'm starting to feel the separation anxiety creep in as I type this...LOL

-Dave

#21 ·
Well the deer in Georgia are safe and sound as the season ended in my part of the state Jan. 1st. Due to the flu or some other kind of crude I missed most of the last half of Dec. so the QT and I were unable to score. But, I did get to shoot her a fair amount in the backyard and she will be missed greatly.

I dropped her off at the post office yesterday to begin the journey to Iowa, to be entrusted to the good hands of Steve Long. She is traveling via insured priority mail with a delivery conformation number of 0310 0480 0001 5837 1508.

Steve please post here when she arrives. And Bryan thanks again for the opportunity.

-Dave

#22 ·
DAVE, thanks, will tell everyone here when it lands in my neighborhood.
I'll shoot it a bit, get to know it, and send it on to Bowbender Mike, I think is next on the list after me.
THANKS BRYAN and DAVE

#23 ·
Bryan and all, I got this bad boy in the mail today.
Grip is great, different than it looked in the pics.....to me.
It's almost a twin to my shorty Hoyt TD-1s, 16" - - just a tad longer.
I took my 38# Sky Jack longs off my 17" Pearson Spoiler warf, and put them on this QT, limb bolts out 2 turns, tiller even, brace height is 8-1/8 inches.
Dark tonight, it might be this coming weekend before I shoot it.
I'll post some daylight pics, post a review & thought process after shooting it.
I like it a lot. Nice riser.
Thanks Bryan, for the tryout, and Dave.

#24 ·
wouldnt it be cool if the folks that owned this forum site could convince some of their vendors to give us some equipment to sample just like broadside has let us do.....I would like to try some equip to determine who to buy from and I cant afford to visit every factory....most dont have a demo program like black widow....
I would contribute some money for the cause.
D.

#25 ·
I got this the other day, today first decent ? weather day to get outside with it. High winds today, but 40*ish, so tolerable.
I put some 38# Sky Jack longs on it, braced it 7-3/4", tiller even.
Nock height looked reasonable on the string Broadside supplied.
I shot a few into the bag target at 18 yards, this was as far as the wind would allow, the lee side of my house....nice group.
I went down the ditches at my place stumping, and it just shot nice, I shot some fairly long shots (for me) at 30 & 35 yards, and connected on most.
When I took it out of the box and remarked at how closely it resembles my Hoyt TD-1 16" risers' grips, I was pretty sure I could shoot it and OWN one of these.
Thanks Bryan for letting me try it out....I really like it.
It's going north to Bowbender Mike tomorrow.
My other interesting shooter today was my Gamemaster II riser with 38# WW CC Carbon longs on it..... I do not really like the "look" of these, but glad I tried one out.....have had 2 of these now, and dang, this one just feels like home, to me.
MikeyRoy2011, you know what I mean......I think.....

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.