Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I noticed turning my elbow out started rolling my shoulder in. I am working on a low/back shoulder seen on a coaching video and wonder what the proper technique is for setting it? I saw Rods method in MBB but even doing that I can be at full draw and lower it a lot(or so it feels).
Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
2,770 Posts
(I can be at full draw and lower it a lot(or so it feels). )

Well, that could be bad. If it is set in a good low position you couldn't lower it at full draw very much at all. So I have good news and bad news.

First, the bad news: the shoulder joint does not have a bone socket like the hip does. It has a bit of bone covered with cartilage and the rest of the positioning comes from soft tissue, tendon and muscle. You may have damaged yours or at least stretched it. So as you draw the shoulder hunches up and you can lower back down, but it won't stay there without conscious effort. Is that what is happening to you?

Now, the good news: If it isn't painful you have probably just stretched the soft tissues, not torn them, and they can recover. To do that I would rest a week or so and obtain a light kid's bow to practice with. At the predraw position lower both shoulders as far as they will comfortably go. As you draw the back shoulder will rise but the front one should not. The weigh of the draw will pull it in to where the loose socket should have been before you stretched it. Do not let it rise. When your have healed enough to do that try your 36# bow.

You want to get to where the front shoulder seats firmly and does not rise even with a heavy bow. Muscle heals quickly, in a matter of days and weeks. Tendon has no circulation and heals slowly, a matter of months. So you have a long path ahead of you.

More good news: this will give you the opportunity to perfect the rest of your form with light bows. You will be a better archer for it next year and for the rest of your life. Get it done. - lbg

Reactions: kenn1320

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
Ken, go through this document. While it relates to competitive archery the info should be similar.

Reactions: kenn1320

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lbg, thanks for the info. Yes it appears your description is what Im experiencing. Even if I purposely lower it and hold it pre-draw, once Im at anchor I find I can lower it some more by thinking about it. I have no doubt there was damage done last year, but to what extent I don’t know. In the never ending quest for accuracy I am always trying different things. When I read bone on bone was the best, and the less muscle involvement the better, I did something that apparently has resulted in a messed up shoulder. I went out and did a ¾ pre draw and then totally relaxed my entire arm, which pushed it inward. I would then complete the draw and only the force of the bow was holding my arm in place. The accuracy was awesome, so much so that I got out the video camera and talked my way through it so I wouldn’t forget it. However the next week my shoulder hurt something awful, couldn’t even shoot my bow. I waited a week or two and got back into shooting, but never let myself “relax” like that again. Both my shoulders hurt now and again, same with my ankles. I just assume this is part of getting old. Maybe its time to have a chat with a shoulder doc and see what if any damage was done and how to correct it. Maybe its time to switch back to right hand. :lol:

Aiden, thanks for the link.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.