Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, All!

Been a while since I’ve been around.
I am looking for conversation dedicated to barebow’s whether they be long, flat, or any of the shorter variants. Last I was around, I was heavy into Asiatic Recurves. Hope all is well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
You're about to learn that barebow doesn't mean what you think it does.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
In the video, it looks like you're shooting a self bow. If you're wanting to talk more about self bows, we've got a guy here that can absolutely wear you out. :)

He's really in to that. He goes by the handle HedgeHunter. If he doesn't come along soon you might want to get in touch with him.

Reactions: brentona

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the video, it looks like you're shooting a self bow. If you're wanting to talk more about self bows, we've got a guy here that can absolutely wear you out. :)

He's really in to that. He goes by the handle HedgeHunter. If he doesn't come along soon you might want to get in touch with him.
Thank you, kind sir! I’m sternly interested to learn about modern bowyers of the selfbow. I know of a handful, but my Google skills are lacking. Love to learn more on the subject. Coming off of a four year binge into Gao Ying Chinese archery from 1637. So I ate, slept, and breathed thumbrings, bamboo laminate and horn bows.

I find myself reaching for my older Hickory Flatbow anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
You might be able to edit the title to your thread to: "Self Bow Specifically." I know you can do that in the classifieds.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Just how well do you know that guy, Shawn? :)

Reactions: HedgeHunter

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies, all.

HH, that bow looks wonderful, I’d like to see a full size shot of it if you have it, no pressure, though.

I think an Osage would be the best wood for my application, currently shooting a Hickory.
I’m getting to a point in my life where I just want a single, excellent example, of each hobby I pursue. I’m not currently ready to purchase a new bow, but the foreknowledge on the subject going in is a wise endeavor.

I’d love the opportunity to read discussions on the subject further.

YouTube on the subject is a tool I’ve used well in the past. Watched some from both you mentioned there. The nitty gritty details you get from people though, that’s the real gold. Especially that of a retired generation. I’m 31 myself, but most of my good friends are retired. I’ve found you learn a lot more listening to those that have done.

·
Premium Member
13,886 Posts
Have you been to the DIY projects forum on here and the sub-forums? Shawn has a bunch of GOOD stuff in there, as do others, on selfbows.

Reactions: brentona

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you been to the DIY projects forum on here and the sub-forums? Shawn has a bunch of GOOD stuff in there, as do others, on selfbows.
When I’m able to surf the web a while, I’m going to go to HH’s user and look at his created threads. Thanks so much again guys.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tomorrow I’ll post some pics of my self now. 67” 63# @28” yew longbow… it’s whisper silent and shoots like a dream. Straighter, easier and quieter than any recurve I have. I’m working w/ my uncle whose made them for 40 years. Gotta learn everything he knows before he’s gone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts