Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a woodlot in Northern New Hampshire with a wide selection of tree species at various ages. Everything from saplings to mature trees: Main hardwood species include at least some of the following -- beech, sugar maple, striped maple, red maple, white ash, brown ash, hop hornbeam, elm, cherry. As well as a number of smaller species like alder and choke cherry. I was thinking of cutting some wood and splitting it into staves for future self bow making. My first question is how big a tree should I cut? Am I better off selecting a smaller tree that might split into four staves or a bigger tree that will yield more? As far as drying goes, I have a large loft over my dog kennel building or I could put the staves in under an open shed type roof where they would be dry but less exposed to the summer heat in the loft -- which would be better? How long will they need to dry? Any bow makers within striking distance would be welcome to some wood in exchange for a little sweat equity and expertise.

·
Premium Member
12,079 Posts
welcome to the forum!
I've not done what you detailed above, so will wait for others to chime in.

·
Haybale Hunter
269 Posts
Great question.

·
Registered
341 Posts
My first longbow, lightening stripped ash. When i was 11 a monster bolt of lightening hit our neighbors very straight and tall ash tree. It peeled a 8" by 12' stave off of the tree. A man that made hunting bows with osage billets came by and made two sinewed billet cut longbows, one for himself and one for me. I killed rabbits, squirrels and pheasants with that bow. I had great success with true pignut hickory, it needs to be super dry. I was asked about honey locust and mulberry sinewed back bows. I had no answer, so the individual flipped a coin and went with a billet mulberry and it turned out great. Of the species listed ash and elm are the two that I have personally had or shot that were good usable hunting bows, both were sinew backed and the ash that I had also had calf skin. .

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
hop hornbeam is the one stuck out to me. have seen several bows made from it in the "Primitive Archer" over the years. have not tried it myself however.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
When I was making selfbows I ALWAYS USED as you mentioned smaller trees quartered to get four staves .The thinking behind that was a young tree like us in its prime is much stronger.The growth rings are tighter making the wood stronger.Shagbark hickory,vinemaple and hophornbeam were some of the woods I used.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I made a few bows in the 80s, but recently started reading everything I could find. It seems it's all about design. I made a bow from a stick just for fun, and it works! Large trees, small trees and almost any kind of hardwood. Just make it a little wider as the specific gravity drops in the wood you're using. Note I'm not pretending to be any kind of expert, and I learn every now I make (or break) but it seems design is more important than wood type.

If you have it, it seems a 8-10" hickory makes it the easiest for a native wood in the northeast. I've successfully used walnut and maple too. Every ash now I've made has broke, but I'm not giving up on it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts