Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all , I am headed to Maryland next week for my last trip be for the deer and Sika seasion opens . I have been down in March, April , May , and now in July . I did some turkey hunting and a lot of scouting . I have one game camera out and have been getting a few Sika pic. Next week I will put 2 stands up and 1 or 2 more cameras . My game camera is a 3 mile walk from the car . If I have good pic. on it that we'll be my mane spot . Next week I will put another camera in the same general area for the different wind . I love the Maryland marsh . It is so new and different for me . Studying and learning about Sika has been and is very good for me . The wet wilds of Dorchester Co. are calling me . But it will be Tenkra fly fishing in Vt. for the next few days .

May life's simplest things bring you the greatest pleasures !!!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Sounds very interesting.
The Sika in NZ are usually found on high ground after about 10am and are not really known for living around swamps or marsh country.
We have two type which interbreed but pure breds are more common.
Their the Chinese Manchurian and the Japanese Nippon.
The Nippon is the larger of the two and offer NZ's best prospect for a quality representative trophy of any "genuine free range" game animal here.
The NZ Bowhunters society has some very nice animals pictured but sorry I don't have a link to it.

John.

Ok now I do.
http://www.nzbowhunters.co.nz/

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all . I just got back from 5 days in the Maryland marsh. I had hoped to put up 3 stands . I had a little scare on the first day , as I over did it and was not sure if I would get out of the marsh without help .( I am fighting cancer and heart problems ) I did get out and took it easy the next day , just putting a new trial camera up . I went back and finished putting up my stand in what I hope will be my primary spot . I have been getting good pitchers of Sika there . I am very luckey to be a new member of a good lease . A good sized piece of March with no batting , etc. Sika Olney . I spent the last day scouting and put a camera up about 400-500 yd. from my spot . I will be back down for opening week .

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
When does the season start? Scouting right now for Whitetails would put you in their summer feeding pattern, which is not where you want to be come season in the fall. Good luck to you, the scouting can be as fun as the hunt itself. Stay mentally positive, you will beat the cancer!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi The seasion opens 9/5 , so I think they will be in the same places for the first part of the season . I fully expect things to change with sessions , and hunting presser . I am new to Sika so am learning as I go . We will see . I have put a lot of time into it so far , but the pleasure is in the chaise .

May life's simplest things bring you the greatest pleasures !!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts