Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Spearhead
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new to me .17HMR has a cheap taco 3x9x40 on it and would like to upgrade the scope.
Looking at vortex 3x7x32, Redfield 3x7x32
Anyone have a preference or comments on the scopes?
I have both brands in binos and very pleased with both and really can't find a fault on either binos.
Thought about more expensive but this will be only for the boys to plink and shoot prairie rats.

Thanks

Chad

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
.17HMR isn't a terribly cheap round and it's got the legs to get out there. In my mind that means spending some decent money on optics. A Mueller 4.5-16 APT would be an excellent match.

-Grant

·
Spearhead
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Grant I'll look into it. Never heard of mueller.
Honestly I'm not sure about a 17 awfully small bullet, seems like the slightest wind will have a huge impact.
2-300 yard shots possible?
Wyoming isn't known to be a windy state lol

Chad

·
Barbarian Tyrant
971 Posts
Both Vortex and Redfield (Leupold) have great optics but I like the positive clicks of the Vortex Diamondback line better than the Redfield. I have not handled a Redfield in a couple of years so they may have changed. Both have a no questions asked lifetime warranty. I'd look at eye relief and field of view figures to see which is better.

I shoot 22LR at 200 yards so the .17 can do it too. But I have a big 6x24x44 on it and can see my hits at 100 yards easy. It makes you a better shooter because you have to think about the wind more than with a big bore. But I live where a 20mph wind is considered quiet a blow. Out in the great wide open where you are the .17 is gonna be a challenge!

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
From everything I've read, the .17 HMR is maybe a 200yd. cartridge at best. 16-17gr bullets will make for tricky shooting in any crosswinds. Your boys will certainly have fun with it. For 200yd. shooting, most varmint shooters will opt for a bit more magnification than 7x.

·
Registered
127 Posts
.17 hmr, is a very accurate round. I'd recommend all the magnification you can get just because you'll tend to shoot farther than you typically would shoot with a rimfire. I've got a 4.5-14 x 40 on mine and it tends to sit on 14 most of the time.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I had a .17 and shot quite a few Jacks and Chucks with it. I feel that it is a wicked varmint shooter out to 150 or maybe 175 yards. Past that it is like a .22 at 100 yards - the accuracy is just not there. That little bullet really puts the smack on smaller varmints and will explode gopher size critter. I had a Pentax 2x7x32 Prostaff (Shotgun scope w/ 75yd parallex setting) on mine and it worked great. When I would miss it was always from shooting over instead of just putting it on the critter and shooting. If your going to use it as a hunting gun then that scope works very nice - if your a target shooter then it will probably not have enough power. Actually I've been eyeing the Anschutz 1517D HB that Cabelas as been advertising.............nice rifle.

·
Spearhead
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your recommendations and suggestions.
I'm leaning to the vortex, going to a higher magnification is only 30$ more for the 4x12x44
Now to get higher rings.

Chad

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I don't own a .17 HMR now, but I have shot several - the Marlin is very accurate - a good value; Anschutz is a jewel. There are several scopes, some quite inexpensive, that have BDC reticles tuned specifically for the 17 - maybe you should consider that if you're going to use it up to it's maximum range - which I assume you will from your location - have fun and good luck!

·
Spearhead
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Button, I've seen a few made specifically for the 17, bushmell tasco BSA, I particularly want to stay away from the cheap scopes. I've been burned by them to many times at the wrong moment. Don't want high dollar Lica, Swarovski and the like but a good mid range scope.

Lots of good rifles but I have the savage, it was given to me as a gift and totally unexpected. I am pleased as punch.

This Sumer is going to be a hoot. The place we shoot the squirrels is wide open and a 100-150 shot is considered a chip shot, they know to keep down and far out.
Thinking I'll let the boys shoot the 17 and I'll shoot the 308 lol

Chad

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Don't dismiss the 'cheap' scopes, I've had a Tasco on my 22 for ages and it has held up well. Today's inexpensive scopes will perform with the best from back when. Not as good as top shelf stuff, but close enough unless you're doing serious target shooting.

Anyway, hope you post a pic of the rig when you have it together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts