Trad Talk Forums banner

School me on three under tabs

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Tracker1 
#1 ·
Been shooting Apache for some time now using a cordovan Bateman. On one hand, don’t fix what’s not broken; but looking for others experience and advice. Getting adventurous in my old age, going to venture off the reservation. Thick or thin, composite materials, indexing plates, protecting fingers from bruising, lots of string feel or more padding, etc. I know it‘s all personal experience, but interested in your experience. Brand preference, ‘new’ structure and stiffness, or the more soft and broken. When is your tab worn out and time to replace. Thanks

#4 ·
Bateman tab is great and cheap enough to get a free as spares. I’d stick with it if it works for you.

BW is good if you need a thicker tab, but the quality can be bad.

The Yost and Black Mamba come with large faces so you can customize the size of the leather.

#5 ·
Bateman is a great tab and Cordovan leather is a great combination of feel and durability. One thing missing on the Bateman for me though. It has no shelf. I really like having a shelf to set the string against before I take a hook. Keeps me very consistent. I like the AAE Elite tab, it has a shelf (aluminum). Its also a split finger tab which I like because I have bows that shoot better split. The Safari Tuff tab is all leather and has a shelf. There are plenty of others that do as well. You might look into one that has a shelf.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, sorry about messing up on the replies. Question - are there any issues with the Black Mamba buckle? Against the face or not being secure on release? Also I see three different shelf profile’s on the Mamba and Yost. Confused as to fit, differences, comfort, style, and/or? My anchor point is middle finger on the corner of the mouth. Reading past posts and some of those issues have been referenced. May be isolated to particular shooters and technique. Taking a hard look at at all your suggestions, thanks !

#16 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, sorry about messing up on the replies. Question - are there any issues with the Black Mamba buckle? Against the face or not being secure on release? Also I see three different shelf profile’s on the Mamba and Yost. Confused as to fit, differences, comfort, style, and/or? My anchor point is middle finger on the corner of the mouth. Reading past posts and some of those issues have been referenced. May be isolated to particular shooters and technique. Taking a hard look at at all your suggestions, thanks !
I never had trouble with the tab scraping my face, but I don’t press my hand into my face as much as others. It’s pretty flush with the tab plate.

I have a couple of T3 tabs I’d sell if you want to try one. PM me if you’re interested.

#10 ·
Safari Tuff is one of the best. Designed by Rod Jenkins. Real cordovan leather face - many say they are Cordovan but may not be. No break-in - just trim to size, which owner Randy Cooling describes perfectly in a video. Few have ever actually worn one out - most likely you would lose it 1st.
Safari Tuff tab

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.