Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5 -35mm film canisters with cotton in them and clothespins attached. Here is my questions....
1) How much scent do I add to them? 1-2 drops, totally soak it?

2) Where should the be placed stragigically? I am putting one directly under my stand, but what about the others?

Thank you all, this is the first time I have tried using scents.

WA

·
Podunk
478 Posts
During the pre-rut I'll use scents along with calling,or rattling and calling.
What's more important than what scent you choose to use or how you dispense the scent is how your set up is so you don't get busted.
Deer will normally but not always circle down wind of the music one is playing so where you place your stand and where you place the scent is very important. When terrain and wind allows, I like to place my stand down wind or better yet, when the wind is slightly quartering towards that place that I think a deer will come from, which is usually from heavy cover. I'll make a fake scrape, 15-20 yds out in an opening and juice it up lightly.
I've already placed my tree stand so that it's 20 yds or so inside the heavy cover. If the wind is quartering into the heavy cover the deer might pick up the sent right away and come right in. If he circles down wind of me, he will probably stay within that cover for security, and my scent stream will hopefully stay high enough so that I don't get busted. Next step, keep your heart in your chest, pick a spot and burn a hole in it!
I've got a couple of places I hunt where I've had good success doing this when the wind is right over the years.
Nothing is etched in stone Warped except play the wind. Experiment a little, be confident and most of all have fun with it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts