Trad Talk Forums banner

Samick Sage “upgrades” #2

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Dakota6gun 
#1 · (Edited)
The original limbs stacked pretty badly and the bottom limb had an issue with the glass on its back.

Replaced with SWA limbs. They turn out to have a slightly different geometry. Wider out toward the limb tips. Way less stacking. And seem to shoot a bit faster.

SBD 10-strand string added more speed. Had to drop 50 grains off the point weight. Now shooting full length Gold Tip Traditional Only arrows with 125 grain points (bare shaft) so straight and flat it makes me giggle :)

Life is good. Life with archery is better.

See less See more
#3 ·
typical rule of thumb is that normal recurves gain something like 2# per inch from 28" draw length to a point where it gains MORE THAN the standard 2# per inch DL.
this extra GAIN is called stacking.
Sometimes stacking starts at around 27" and sometimes it's ? 30" DL or so....or whatever.
Point is that all bows will break if you draw them back far enough, and stacking is an indicator of limits.
I've seen bows gaining 4 or 5 pounds per inch past 28" and it's not a pleasant DRAW.

#4 ·
typical rule of thumb is that normal recurves gain something like 2# per inch from 28" draw length to a point where it gains MORE THAN the standard 2# per inch DL.
this extra GAIN is called stacking.
Sometimes stacking starts at around 27" and sometimes it's ? 30" DL or so....or whatever.
Point is that all bows will break if you draw them back far enough, and stacking is an indicator of limits.
I've seen bows gaining 4 or 5 pounds per inch past 28" and it's not a pleasant DRAW.
Thanks Steve!

#6 ·
62”. I’m sure longer limbs would feel a bit better. I thought about buying longer limbs, but I have the Ghost longbow and decided to keep the Sage at 62” for variety. I’m 6’ but draw only 27”. I anchor with the string off center on my chin and to the tip of my nose. That makes the 62” bow a bit more comfortable to shoot.

I love the Ghost. Shoots beautifully and is a bit easier on the fingers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.