TradTalk Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sure you have all seen an original Samick Sage. Sharp angles, lots of extra wood, not very attractive, but a decent inexpensive bow.

Couldn’t sleep a couple weeks ago. Grabbed some 60 grit sanding disks and a hand sanding block and went to work.

Reshaped just about everything, including a bit of refinement on the grip. Left the shelf alone.

Went through 60, 80, 120, 150, 220 grits.

The result:

I much smoother, lighter in the hand and way prettier.

:)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Those are great starter bows, I never knew I could get into shooting traditional so cheap. When I got mine I bought limbs in 30#, 35#, 40#, and 45# and would never sell it. I can see someone doing a bit of sanding to remove some of the bulk but I’m ok with the way they come stock, especially being wood.

·
Premium Member
11,904 Posts
LOOKS GOOD, do you plan to leave it matte or slip on some Tru-Oil finish or something like that?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just put some varnish on it. I didn’t get all the original finish off in some spots, otherwise I’d oil it. That may be a summer project when I could use a stripper of some sort outside.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You might want to think about knocking those sharp edges off the back of the grip. I've done four of them now and really like the feel of them now. I sort of wish that I had rounded the back of the grip more than I did.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might want to think about knocking those sharp edges off the back of the grip. I've done four of them now and really like the feel of them now. I sort of wish that I had rounded the back of the grip more than I did.
I did round it some. I’d love to see some pics. I angled the grip away from my life line ever so slightly. Used a wood rasp then sand paper. Settles in the hand so much more nicely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts