Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· j-san = Jason
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a bunch of busted carbon shafts where the tip got pushed into the shaft and flowered it open. I've successfully salvaged broken alloy shafts by simply cutting it off behind the break and hot-melting in a new insert. However, carbon is a different animal and I worry about there being tiny cracks further along the shaft than I can see. Do you guys every try to cut past the flowered tip and glue in a new insert or do you just toss the shaft? If you do cut and salvage, how far past the last bit of visible damage do you cut?

· Premium Member
817 Posts
Not really a answer for what I perceive to be your question....but if possible I cut where it appears to be structurally ok to do so and then make a "kid" arrow for my own or a beginner kid archer....
I salvage and give away arrows to kid archers by this means....

· Premium Member
12,449 Posts
Kevin this is the easiest thing there is. this were 29" 520 redlined I smashed in. I wanted the to be 30" for point on hunting arrow at 20 yards with 5/8" crawl with 160 gr up front. It took 2.5 " of a 2014 as I remember. I epoxied them on about and 1.25" of shaft. Never looked back the tuned prefect.

Lately I have been only shooting 4 or 5 pigs a year. Every one with these arrows.

· Registered
17 Posts
Typically I just cut the arrow where I don't see any more cracks an put in a new insert. Depending on how long it is after determines what I do with it. I'll either give it to a buddy of mine that I got into trad archery (who has a much shorter draw), or if I have a couple that I'm doin I'll cut them all the same length an give them to my dad or brother ( they have a shorter draw by a bit, but there wheel bow shooters :goodvevil )
If its too short I make pens out of them, id post pics but I don't know how to make the pic smaller.

· Registered
2,355 Posts
I inspect them under good light with magnification and if I can't find anything that scares me I cut them and sleeve them. I think Rusty might have a great solution though for when the damage is discernible a little further back....

· j-san = Jason
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a good idea, Rusty. So you just added a 2014 insert hot melted into the alloy shaft and that section epoxied onto the carbon? I've been footing all my shafts recently and never thought of doing that. Looks like I've got another dozen arrows to add to my quiver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.