Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled upon this today, looks interesting. I cant run or shoot, but if I could, bet this would be fun.

Hey Dewayne(vabowdog), let me guess you were a cross country state champ back in high school? :D Man Ill never be able to beat you. lol

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Don't they know it's not SAFE to run with a long stick? Someone could lose an eye.... ;) :D

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
I was a cross country runner in high school. I wonder if they have age group divisions. I can shoot against younger folks, but I do not think I can run and shoot against them. I am interested in ski archery but snow conditions are very inconsistent in our local mountains, and, more importantly, I am a crappy cross country skier. We had a standing rule back in the day. If it snowed on Wednesday, we cross country skied over the weekend, whether we felt like it or not.

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
I did run archery once. It was more of a "trying-to-finish-up-the-course-before-the-lighting-hit" kind of archery. We were already 1/3 of the way into a 28 target walk-thru course and spotted lightning in the nearby clouds. Figuring that our bows likely acted as lightning rods, we shot, ran to the bale, pulled our arrows, ran to the next set of stakes, and repeated till we were finished. I have to admit, a racing heart rate and heavy breathing did not help my shooting, but it was fun. I'd like to try ski archery someday.

·
Registered
248 Posts
One of my friends and I once carried two arrows each and ran a 28 target field course, running from station to station, and stopping at each target to shoot our two arrows, kind of like a biathlon (cross country skiing + guns).

It was ok, not sure if I'd do it again. I prefer to keep my running and archery separate.

·
Registered
623 Posts
One of my friends and I once carried two arrows each and ran a 28 target field course, running from station to station, and stopping at each target to shoot our two arrows, kind of like a biathlon (cross country skiing + guns).

It was ok, not sure if I'd do it again. I prefer to keep my running and archery separate.
I'd like to see someone try to do that at King's Mountain. That would kick your butt.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I always enjoyed watching the olympic competition where they would cross country ski and shoot the rifles. This seems the a summer version. Id like to hear how they determine the winner? Is a perfect shot worth X number of minutes off your running time? When I shoot ibo 3d, following some of these wheelie guys is more like take a nap between targets. lol

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
AFAIK with biathlon, penalty laps are taken for every missed target (no points, just hit or miss), so it ends up being the fastest skier who wins the race.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know, I know... it's an old thread....
I really wish more US archers were more athletic. It would make this sport so much more engaging. Why is it that other countries have more of an athletic archery and non-archery populous, but we have a predominately couch-potato archery crowd?
Found this... http://www.nwrunarcheryclassic.com/
Looks fun, but it is on the left coast.
I have a couple targets on my farm that I run between, through our pastures and woods, over and through streams, up and down hills and over obstacles. I enjoy shooting the course at least twice a week. One loop is 3km and is hard enough without the bow. But it keeps me in half-way decent shape and adds a new dimension in my archery. Other days I take my pistols or rifle and do the shooting in those disciplines. Anyone up for it?

·
Registered
590 Posts
In our country one of the archery organisations supports this, not really a popular sport so there are not many competions and only few folks doing this. Biathlon, however is very big in winter, its on TV for hours and days and people watch it and are thrilled...

I used to be a runner but on some stage decided walking is fast enough. And healthier.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think the way it is now, we are seeing the best archers rise to the top. Looking at "some" of them, if it was run archery they wouldn't be at the top. Archery is more of a mental discipline then a physical one. Heck were given 2 minutes to make a 30yd shot and 3 let downs, talk about couch potato pace. :lol:

·
Registered
350 Posts
That looks AWESOME! I would like it better if it was less track and field and more cross country and 3d. I spent the first 150 seconds wondering where their projectiles were, but I guess it's better not to run with them. Although something about running through the woods Last of the Mohicans style with bow and arrows seems excellent to me. And those folks were some athletes, everybody looked quite fit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts