Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting my recurve a lot this past year, about 6 hours a week. I get good arrow flight and am using the correctly spined arrows with the proper tip weight. Arrows fly and impact the target straight. I am thinking about going back to a stick on rest like a Bear weather rest or an NAP Flipper. I started with these and then switched to rug rest off the shelf last year. I am sick of replacing the rug rest all the time. The rug rest starts to wear along the outside edge of the arrow shelf. I am on my third rest rest this year. I am shooting a total arrow weight of 415 grains, at 44 pounds, using a dacron endless loop string and a tab. My arrows and feathers show no signs of poor flight and these arrows bare shafted fine. Somebody with more traditional knowledge than me please chime in. I have only been shooting my recurve for about three years. My local shop said that this is normal wear considering the amount I am shooting. Thanks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Can you rotate your nocks? That with what Chad wrote almost always takes care of it.

Could be just a tad stiff spine too. A little heavier point or longer shaft can make that bend a hair more as it goes past the shelf.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I will try all of these fixes. I like shooting off the shelf. I am shooting odd feather out, with shield cut feathers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Arrows are a little too stiff. Turn cock feather in to get a little more clearance for the bottom feather going past the riser or add some more point weight.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I also found that shelf wear was indicative of an over spined arrow. If you can, reduce centershot with a thinner strike pad. Or heavier tip.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all the responded. I put on a weather rest and raised my nocking point and all was good. Then I test shot with a broadhead. Field tips and broadheads were not impacting at the same spot. Took off the weather rest and lowered my nocking point just a hair and now FP/s and broadheads are hitting together and I am not noticing any more rug rest wear. This setup is 44 pounds at my DL of 29.5 inches, using a 31 inch arrow, with a finished arrow weight of 415.95 grains. This gives me 9.45 grains per pound of hunting weight. A 150 grain broadhead is also on option, that would give me 440.95 grains of TAW and 10.02 grains per pound of hunting weight. My broadheads are Magnus stinger two blades.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts