Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Field and Roving Archery Society will be holding a spring rove this weekend close to the beautiful and ancient town of Monmouth on the English / Welsh boarder.
I'm heading off tomorrow to help lay the course and I've decided ... no marks over 200 yrds to give the juniors and the ladies a chance.
Should be good fun.

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
phil, don't you englishmen know that no target farther than 20 yards should ever be shot? a 200 yard shot at any type of mark over here would get a person banned for life from the sport of archery.
i have to keep my york round target and stakes hidden to keep my membership in archery fraternal organizations.
please post some pictures! sounds like a lot of fun. pete day used to send me photos of that part of the country. some beautiful country. enjoy!!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do Larry ..photo's will be posted
I think it's time us "further than 20 yard" archers came out of the closet ... Rove and be Proud that's what I say.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I wish these "Rove's" would catch on over here....whenever you post up one of these threads and the pictures it really catches my interest. Have Fun!

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
i learned to shoot a bow courtesy of damon howatt and doctor kenagy doing a type of rove. i saw those guys on my range land shooting bows and rode a horse up on the hill to see what they were doing. they explained it was archery golf and said if i didn't mind them crossing my land and would like to try they would bring equipment to share the next weekend.
i watched for them and rode up and tied my horse to a sagebrush and started a day i will never forget. we would pick a long tee, (in the form of a sagebrush), that was 400-500 yards away and a closer one of around 300 yards and shoot either a flight arrow or an approach arrow, (tapered roundnose). when we got to 40-50 yards from the target, one of us would place a 9" long 2 1/2" diameter piece of firehose on end in a difficult position and we would "hole out" by hitting the hose and knocking it over. maximum 5 shots to keep moving. when a jackrabbit was spotted we would all three try for the rabbit and then go back and find our line to the first target. by the end of the day i had killed a few rabbits, could hit the "puck" with confidence and fell in love with archery. we had roved over ten miles up and down the sagebrush hills to an access road where mrs. howatt met us, fed us, and returned me to my home.
a day i will never forget.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Larry: Thank you for sharing that seminal moment with us. what a treasure.

Phil: That 80 yard hanging target looks like an archery nightmare to me. If you miss, it looks like a long shot down the hill and out of sight over the "military crest" I can imagine a fair number of lost arrows snaking under the grass down there. I think I'd have called that shot, Kermit the Froggie's Revenge

1 - 20 of 40 Posts