Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting my stuff ready for tomorrows Field and Roving Archery Society roving shoot at historic Chillington Hall. I'll be travelling with my old shooting companion Pip Bickerstaffe, who told me tonight he has a new "toy" to play with. Sounds interesting so I'll be taking my camera so we can get a sneak preview
Here's a bit of history of the estate and the Giffard family...

GIFFARD FAMILY HISTORY

One of the few families that can definitely claim to have a direct link by decent from one of the knights who came over with William the Conqueror in 1066. They can also claim that this link goes to the first person ever called Giffard in about 1045, in Normandy (Giffard meaning 'chubby cheeks' -jouffle - in Norman French). Their family relationship to William the Conqueror means that Gautier Giffard was the hereditary standard bearer to the duke although he surrendered that right at Hastings due to age and infirmity.
Four members of the family came to England in 1066 and were awarded lands throughout the country. One branch went to Fonthill in Wiltshire from where in all probability Peter Giffard acquired Chillington in a marriage settlement from Peter Corbusson.

THE PANTHER

The Giffard's cross reputedly marks the spot where Sir John Giffard in the reign of Henry VIII shot dead with a bow and arrow a panther as it was about to pounce upon a woman and child.
The panther was part of a menagerie of exotic animals possessed by Sir John and had escaped into the forest of Brewood. As Sir John shot, his son, at the crucial moment shouted "Prenez haleine, tirez fort", "Take breath, pull strong".
From this incident the families two crests were granted in 1513 as a "Panther's head couped full-faced spotted various with flames issuing from his mouth". And in 1523 a "demi-archer bearded and couped at the knees from his middle, a short coat, paly argend and gule, at his middle a quiver of arrows, drawn to the head".

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reactions: Greysides

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love these threads. Have fun Phil, and looking forward to the pics and details.
Yep .. charging the camera battery as I type. The nice thing about F.R.A.S. shoots is the lack of rules. Shoot whatever bow you like except compounds and use wooden arrows ... that's about it. The order of the day is .... enjoy yourself

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK ... I'm off ... see ya' later

·
Mammoth Hunter
741 Posts
Thanks for the historical background, Phil! It's always fun to hear that kind of thing, and as an American I'm always kind of floored when you Englishmen can talk about who was doing what a thousand years ago.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Long bows a-plenty on display today

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
All that green makes me anxious for Spring.....Been sortin', cleanin', and throwin' away all day......Looks like y'all had a great day. Thanks for the great thread Phil!

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
We probably have more in common than not Jer....Archery, twistin wires, horses, Libertarian tendecies...;)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Great pic's Phil... Some of my friends from Sabden Fold Archers where there, shooting primitive bows..

Pip's hybrid bow looks great..

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great pic's Phil... Some of my friends from Sabden Fold Archers where there, shooting primitive bows..

Pip's hybrid bow looks great..

Hi ****
quite a few guys came down from Sabden ... great bunch of lads and we all had a great laugh. Can we talk you into joining us at our next shoot?

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Phil, is that a yew tree ?
Btw cricket went well ;)
No Pete it's an Oak ... and thanks for reminding me about the cricket .. you're a bad man :p

Reactions: aroadik
1 - 20 of 24 Posts