Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, Legends Bows with Don Barkley will be hosting another Rod Jenkins clinic Nov.14,15 2015. Two full days of great instruction from one of the worlds greatest coaches for $250. If you have been wanting to get into one of Rods clinics now is the time. For information contact Mike Rash at 209-852-2475 or [email protected]

·
Banned
1,654 Posts
Best money you can spend on archery.

Reactions: LEGENDS BOWS

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,700 Posts
I would love to go but that is the weekend I take 5 Braille Institutes rock climbing at Joshua Tree. That is my one non negotiable commitment each year, even overriding a big tournament. A week later, and I am there.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've studied with Rod twice. Once I drove 9 hours. Another time I took my wife and drove 5 hours so that she could work with him. With what I have learned and how it has helped me and my wife, driving to California from Ohio wouldn't be to far.

If you have a chance to go, it will change your archery life. I can't express how much I recommend going to Rod's clinic.

Bill

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,700 Posts
I've studied with Rod twice. Once I drove 9 hours. Another time I took my wife and drove 5 hours so that she could work with him. With what I have learned and how it has helped me and my wife, driving to California from Ohio wouldn't be to far.

If you have a chance to go, it will change your archery life. I can't express how much I recommend going to Rod's clinic.

Bill
You have a strong FITA program in Ohio with a lot of good coaches. Nationals are often held in Hamilton. Are you near any of the coaches and have you ever tried them?

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,700 Posts
I am very interested in Rod's workshops and would attend if I could. What I wonder, however, is what does Rod do that a good FITA coach does not do? Would I get something different from Rod than I am already getting, and what is the difference? I understand that many areas do not have good coaches available and that may be the gap that Rod fills.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hank, in answer to both of your posts. I have been shooting trad for 3 years and only shoot IBO. Winter, Spring, Triple Crown, World as my schedule permits. I would like to try other organizations, but don't know enough about them and don't have anyone locally who can guide me through. Some ASA shootiers, but nothing else.

The big question was about what does Rod teach and how does it compare to other coaches. I can tell you that with I learned from Rod, I don't feel I need another coach. Rod gave me the tools to execute a perfect shot (obviously I don't always do my part) and he has been there for me when I needed advice-sending him videos which he analyzed in slow motion to help me refine minor issues, phone support, anything that I had questions about.

So, what does he teach? He is the one who could explain it best, but let me give you my perspective. Rod teaches what he calls the "7 Steps to Excellence." It includes stance, bow hand, string hand, anchors/calibration (or aligning the bow to enable hitting the target), commitment, aiming/expansion, and conclusion. Three years ago after putting down my compound, I knew I wanted good coaching because I knew from shooting a compound how important technique was to effective shooting. I went to Paron, Arkansas, and learned to shoot from Rick Welch. It was a great experience and I learned a lot. After IBO World the next season, I knew I wanted to learn how to get my fingers off the string. I was using a static release and I had to consciously trigger the shot. I spoke to Rod and asked him to take pity on an old man and please help me to learn a better "release." Rod told me he wouldn't teach me how to "release." He told me he would teach me a shot sequence from picking up the bow until follow through. That's what he did.

I was, like so many folks, confused about what back tension really was. I, like most compound shooters, used my arm and shoulder muscles to draw the bow. Rod's system teaches true back tension. It is really simple to achieve once you understand it, and he shows you physically how to engage the back muscles to move to anchor. From there, it is a simple process to expand the back muscles and the shot just goes off. No conscious thought; every shot is a surprise release. It took me a month of blank bale without aiming using the "Bridge Program," but by then I really understood it and could do it.

Rod also teaches the Bridge Program which is his system to ingrain the 7 Steps without aiming so that you develop "perfect form" before you start doing all those things that can negatively affect your shot, like aiming, gapping, trying to hit a spot, etc.

It has taken me 2 years of hard work shooting virtually every day, but I was going to do the shooting anyway, so why not use a system that develops perfect form. I may not be the best in the IBO in my class, but in the last two years I won the 2014 Winter and Spring and shot third in the Triple Crown. In 2015, I shot second in my class in the Triple Crown. So, does Rod's coaching work? I am a true believer.

How does he compare to FITA coaches? Don't know, don't want to know. My only limitation with Rod's system is me, not the system. There are great IBO shooters like Dewayne, Calvin, Mark, Dave, John, Jennifer, Fawn, JIm, Roy, Bill, Mike, and others that I am probably forgetting, that don't use Rod's system. But, take a look at Jimmy Blackmon's videos if you want to see what Rod's system looks like in action. If you want a coach, any many don't, you cannot go wrong with Rod. If you do the work and follow his system, you will amaze yourself at what you can do.

I hope this answers the question and that it helps.

Bill G

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,700 Posts
Good response. I am not being critical of the seminar. I would attend this one if not for my Braille Climbing trip, which is my top priority each year. I have had FITA coaches for the past several years, Sandy McCain now, and am wondering how Rod's approach differs. It is a challenge to be effective in a workshop format, but it sounds like he has found a successful formula. There is a difference between regular visits to a coach, and a workshop. The challenge of a workshop is to produce a formula that can be remembered, in detail, and learned after the workshop is over. This is much like giving folks the tools they need to learn algebra, and then releasing them to go forth and learn on their own (or mostly on their own). There are key areas of the shot process that I continue to struggle with. I would certainly like to see how Rod approaches them. He may have a method that resonates with me and helps me through some barriers. The reason I went to Sandy is because her approach is aligned with how I am trying to learn to shoot. That made us a good match. Rod has certainly been a very good match for many traditional shooters.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hank, I have seen that concern expressed in other posts. What I can tell you is that Rod's system is easy to learn. It takes work to understand how to draw your bow to achieve back tension, and expansion takes some concentration. But, Rod will work with you to show you so that you will understand and feel it so that you can begin to develop the muscle memory to do it at home. Doing "The Bridge" will ingrain the shot sequence if you concentrate. Rod gives you a hand out with his sequence that you can refer to for confidence that you are performing the steps in the sequence. Then, if you have any questions, call Rod. He is ALWAYS there for his students. When I became frustrated that I felt something had changed, and I didn't know what it was, his response was take a short video, email it to me, I will slo mo it, and we will talk. When i took the video, I saw my issue. But, I sent it to Rod, and he took his time to explain to me what I had seen and the effect it had. But, I knew what I was doing as soon as I saw the video because Rod explained his system so well. If you are willing to work to get better, can live with shooting blank bale, and won't become frustrated doing the Bridge program for a month without aiming and trying to hit a spot, you can see remarkable results.

Words don't really express what it is like learning from Rod. You really have to take a leap of faith. How many folks on TT have some tag line that it is the best archery money you will ever spend. I am just another archer who wanted to be the best that I can be, and Rod gave me the tools to do it.

Bill G.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts