Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So much to say

First I want to thank John Wert and Rob Kaufhold of Lancaster Archery for hosting this event.

As always they do a fantastic job at anything they do from the Classic to the JOAD programs they run it's always first class

The facility is incredible, from its spacious well light ranges featuring freshly epoxied floors to its knowledgable professional staff.

Everyone that attended the clinic brought their own bows but John and Sean of LAS had a rack of freshly setup Titans and Black Magics in an appropriate training weights for all to try and use if they so desired

To be honest John and Sean could run a climc on their own . They are both very knowledgeable and the two of them besides being excellent shots and coaches can tune bows in their sleep :)

So on to a Rods Clinic

First off

Thanks to all my fellow class mates

What a great bunch of guys

It was a pleasure to meet each and everyone of you

The group was comprised of a bunch of very good shooters

Some new

Some life long archers

All looking to take their game to the next level

Now to Rod

Man just meeting him was worth the price of admission

What a great guy

Flat out high level athletic coach

I own all the videos

I have shot with a few very high level shooters, past World Champions. I have been told by many what I was doing wrong

To a certain degree I knew what I was doing wrong

But I guess for me it took a high level coach standing in front of me and showing me why what I was doing was wrong and that there was a way to fix it to really put things into perspective for me.

Like any great upper tier athletic coach Rod has the mental side of this stuff down

He is completely correct when he says that you really need to stop trying to hit things and reprogram yourself

I am a huge fan of muscle memory and I knew many years ago that to commit something yo muscle memory you had to repeat it l2500 times

I did this with my hand gun draw

I did this with my knife handling and training

So I completely understood when he said that you need to completely reprogram the mechanics of your shot before you try and hit things

He was completely correct when he said that most as soon as they are put to task will fall right back to their bad habits

Because they are comfortable with their bad habits and thru time they have made them work

But alas consistence does not favor bad form

I have been shooting for almost 40 years and have struggled with consistence my whole life

Yes I have and can at times make great shots but I can not consistently shoot great

Remember five or so years ago I was bending over snap shooting heavy bows

My draw was 26 3/4 inches

Yes I killed a lot of deer at 10 to 15 yds but alas I was never confident past 20

A few years ago I left my own private shooting world and saw some guys like John Wert , Paul Vogel and my buddy Ray pull their bows back all the way and hold it and hit things consistently

I started to stand up

I started to hold at full draw and my anchor went to 28 inches

My shooting got better

I have been working on my shot watching the videos, etc and trying to improve, but alas I still had problems with consistence

Putting a sight on a bow helped show me it was not my aiming technique. My issues were as most, form related

By working with a sighted bow I got better but not as good as I want tepid to be

This is what brought me to Rod

He broke down my shot and of course picked out my obvious faults which I knew

Like my bringing my face to the string instead of the string to my face

All the years of shot gun work I have done should have taught me that lesson

Always bring the stock to your face not the other way around

Well that was the easy one

But he explained to me that I was drawing all wrong

I am like a Silverback I yank my string back with my forearm, arm and shoulder

I could never get off the string with a tensed up arm smoothly

Hence my pluck

He showed me a new way to draw which incorporates my back which I'm fine with because my back is a lot stronger than my arm

Yes I knew I was leaning into my shots

Yes I knew I was not getting my back into the shot

Why I never took the time to fix my quirks but find work arounds I don't know, like my over draw and than settle back into my rest. Which lead me to creep and pluck

But that's exactly what I did

I came some of the way but not all the way

The reason Rod pegged

Every time I went back to wanting to hit something I went back to what had worked before, even thou I was not really happy with my shooting

A great athletic coach knows that most issues are mental ones and to reach someone they have to get inside their head and make the painfully obvious register

Rod did that for me

Thanks Buddy :)

I have two weeks before Baltimore to work on muscle memory

Not nearly enough time

Rod would suggest I take more time

He's right :)

But he would also tell you that he knows that a bunch of us will be trying to hit stuff before we are ready

Like I said he's good :)

Point is I understand

I will commit to a stronger shot

I will go to Baltimore and shoot every shot strong

If I miss I do not care

I will start hitting again and I will be more consistent

For me October is when I have to be ready

I will be

For the class I took an original Titan that I got used

It was 34 pounds at my draw which by the way measured 28 1\2 after the clinic

Thanks again Rod for another 1/2 inch

It is my wife's bow and the original Titan replace the Titan 2 that she was using

I stole it back to make a project bow for an upcoming trip down the Amazon

Much more to come on that

All in all I really enjoyed the clinic and the man

He does not speak of aiming so to speak

The class had 12 people and we all learned from each other

There was plenty of one on one time to work on each persons faults

John and Sean were right in the mix helping out and did an awesome job

I hope everyone got as much as I did out of it

Thanks to all that made this possible and Rod you are always welcome

I hope ya come for a visit :)

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Pretty fancy digs - we did ours in a rodeo arena.

Enjoy - best thing I did after taking Rods class was build a BIG bale 4x6 on 2 foot legs. Your going to use it ;-)

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pretty fancy digs - we did ours in a rodeo arena.

Enjoy - best thing I did after taking Rods class was build a BIG bale 4x6 on 2 foot legs. Your going to use it ;-)

I e got a big shot in my garage that's just perfect

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Yeah I agree its a process to get rid of old habits. Rod is a great guy. I guess I will be able to start all over again because it's been about 6 months or more since I have even held a bow.

Maybe this will be what I needed actually. The need to hit things I guess was the hardest thing to JUST GIVE UP.....but if we want to improve I guess we have to bite the bullet and just do the work.

I know Matts shooting has gone through the roof because of it and his kids are reeping the benefits.

Firstly they are starting with NO bad habits.....must be a great place to learn from

cheers Jer

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
I just hope that if Rod ever comes down here to the big city, that he gives me a crack at signing up before he announces to the rest of the world. There are lot of traditional shooters hidden among the compounds and FITA folks in this area.

By the way, I saw a little Kisik Lee action going on in the pictures.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Good stuff Joe ...
And as Matt said , fancy digs man ...
Rod held two clinics here in Oz in a converted bathhouse ... With the open fire the only thing to stop us freezing to death !

You'll take a bunch away ... Look forward to seeing your journey.

Well done mate on the update !

·
Registered
657 Posts
Great write up Joe. Like you, I have seen all the videos and read all the books. I knew how it is "supposed" to work. Having Rod there explaining and showing each individual person how it is done was priceless. Like Rod said, all the work starts AFTER his course. He gives you the tools needed but it is up to you to do the drills afterwards.

Lancaster has a beautiful store. I have been in the showroom many times before but have never seen the 2 shooting facilities they have. Unreal. Everything brand new, well lit, extremely clean and all the antique bows they have behind the glass is amazing. John and Sean were first class hosts. Great guys to talk with and extremely knowledgeable.

Before and after the clinic it was fun to talk with Rod. Super nice guy. I learned something interesting....who knew there was football in Alabama? :cheers:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Awesome clinic, I had a blast!

John Wert is a superb host, going above and beyond the call of duty. Sean is another fine LAS employee. Both are also excellent archery coaches and were a major asset to the clinic.

Rod held an excellent class and stressed the importance of a shot sequence and the mental game of archery. I've got ALOT of work to do.

Got 2 days at the bale already, looking forward to Day 3.......

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Before and after the clinic it was fun to talk with Rod. Super nice guy. I learned something interesting....who knew there was football in Alabama? :cheers:
Bulldogs right ??

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great write up Joe. I had a great time at the clinic also. I have started the blank bale and need so much work. I have a sore shoulder and nose ! :shooting:

Great job Rod , John , and Sean . You made us all feel welcome.

Man I have got to loose some weight . My belly looks huge in the pictures.

Maybe it's just the camera making me look bigger.:sbrug:

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great write up Joe. I had a great time at the clinic also. I have started the blank bale and need so much work. I have a sore shoulder and nose ! :shooting:

Great job Rod , John , and Sean . You made us all feel welcome.

Man I have got to loose some weight . My belly looks huge in the pictures.

Maybe it's just the camera making me look bigger.:sbrug:
It was great to meet you :)

I just came in from the same :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.