Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks,

A week or so ago I posted regarding cutthroat broadheads alternatives after discovering high shipping charges to Canada. You all came through for me with helpful advice. Thank you all very much for the suggestions! I always appreciate all that I learn from you. :)

However, RMS Gear got in touch with me after I left the cutthroats in my cart. At first I thought about ignoring the message, but then I checked the email headers and discovered that it was a genuine replyable address, not some mass-market human-less thing.

Feeling hopeful I took the opportunity to reply, explaining that the shipping charges were hard to swallow but that I still really wanted the broadheads if they were able to help me with a more cost effective courier.

And boy howdy did they come through for me! After dealing directly back and forth with Missy at RMS Gear, I got shipping at a significantly reduced cost, and now I am sitting here with my broadheads, as happy as a clam.

Amazing service, I could not be happier. Two thumbs up for RMS Gear; highly recommended! I'm a very happy hunter.

David.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Curious what did they end up costing after shipping and exchange? I may go that route myself as I want to buy either the cutthroat 3 blade or vpa 3 blade

last June I bought a phelonic black super kodiak from big Jim. A week after I had it in my hands he sent me 50 USD refund for “shipping overcharge”. The shipping was 65
USD originally. He must’ve felt sorry for me paying for shipping to Canada and decided to eat the majority of the shipping cost.

Classy!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Curious what did they end up costing after shipping and exchange? I may go that route myself as I want to buy either the cutthroat 3 blade or vpa 3 blade
Hey Jamie!

So shipping was $20 USD, bringing the total to $92 USD, import duties came to $30 CAD total which wasn't too bad.

One thing to note is that the genuine duties are usually much less that what the likes of UPS charge, because they charge a brokerage fee which is a defined profit centre for them.

In this example, I got goods imported that cost $15 CAD in duties via UPS, UPS will charge a matching brokerage fee making it $30 CAD total. However, if the same goods came in via USPS, ergo handed off to Canada Post, there are the $15 CAD duties but there is no brokerage fee because that would be a defacto forced profit centre implemented by the government which they can't do.

If ever you get the option to import stuff via regular mail, it's usually the best way financially speaking. That being said, I opted for UPS in this case because Missy warned me of USPS timelines right now.

Hope this helps.

David

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks David

so many additional costs to think about when buying from the states. When they reopen the border I’m going to go to ETAR or Kalamazoo with a mitt full of USD. It will be nice to avoid shipping costs and duty potentially.

I just bought 10 single bevel grizzly kodiak s off traditional bowhunters fb page. 130 Cad shipped and I didn’t get nailed with duty on my way into the country!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts