Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking for a 17" hunting and a 19-21" "target" riser. i shoot off the shelf with no modern rest (just built up as needed) and with no stabilizer. i had a titan II and III which shot good but i didnt like the balance and the way the riser reacted as a bare riser. are there any risers you guys would recommend i try that are designed to shoot bare and off the shelf. the titan's seemed very top heavy bare so i think im looking for something that balances well or has some weight on bottom as a bare riser. experiences particularly with dorado, GM II, skycrossfire/ wildfire and morrison phoenix risers would be helpful. any suggestions or info would be appreciated. finding my "perfect" bow is getting expensive!!!

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
My first priority with any risers is grip. So for me having the ability to remove the grip and build my own is critical.

I am thinking of a light rig for hunting and am considering the Win & Win RCX 17. If they made a 19" I would already have one.

Rasyad

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Bernardini Cobra or Mamba would fit the bill for a 19-21" target riser. However I'm wondering why handicap yourself with anything shorter than 25"?

-Grant

·
finger shooter
3,439 Posts
As Rusty said, the DAS Elite riser is a great choice. Well balanced and great design. Grant brings up a good point, why limit to a 21" riser when a 25" riser can be much more stable?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I recently got a 15" vpa vapor riser and it has a nice radiused shelf. My buddy has a pheonix 15" and they look and shoot about the same. I can't tell any difference between the two. I shoot a bear weather rest off mine but would have no trouble shooting off the shelf. I had an original Titan at one time but prefer the morrison. My next riser will probably be a 19" morrison pheonix. I love the grip that came with my riser and it balances really well in the hand.
I draw 28" and recently got some black max carbon extreme limbs in medium. Makes a 58" bow with my riser and it's the best shooting recurve I've had to date.
I'm very new to ilf but see no reason to switch or try something different than the combo I have. I'm really pleased with the riser and limb combo.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Hey Gary,

I am a big fan of long riser / short limbs. I look forward to seeing pictures (required) of your rig.

My 27" Inno Max with extra short Border Hex 6 BB2 limbs. 55# at my 28" DL is only 62" tip to tip when strung. One bow for target and hunting, had it's first trip to the woods opening weekend. Lots of tromping around, saw a couple does, no bucks, great day though.

Rasyad

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how does the dryad balance? does it have some weight to it? out of all the risers I have (or had) I like and shoot a TT pinnacle II the best. its basically what im looking for in a riser (balances perfect, comfortable grip, and very stable) but I am always afraid to make it my go to hunting bow because its a "cheaper" riser. I think I just enjoy driving myself nuts with all these risers and limbs to excuse my addiction to buying and shooting bows!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I really like the black bear risers. I have a Das warf and a bolt down version. Balance is great and I am very picky with that. Here is the BB with a set of rockers on Hoyt TD limbs making a ILF like setup. It makes a 62" with short limbs.

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I have a Black Bear and a Rambo...both are ILF and I'll never get rid of either one. Tough? Look for the pics on here where Sam purposely damaged a Rambo and then chained it between two vehicles before towing one down some back roads...

You can't go wrong with a warf if you are rough on your hunting bows.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Gobble, where about in NJ are you? If you are anywhere near me I can let you take a look at my Dryad Epic, Black Bear, and/ or Rambo. At some point the only way to know for sure if a bow suits you...is to hold/shoot it. Even after that we all keep buying more lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts