Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a lot of discussion on riser length. Longer riser is more stable bigger sight window. Shorter riser to get a shorter bow for ground blinds ect.
Is that all there is to it?

Are there performance considerations in the general sense for a longer riser with shorter limbs vs. a shorter riser with longer limbs?

If for example I decide with my draw length I want a 62" amo recurve for 3d shoots out to 45 yards. Why would I choose a 21" ilf riser with ilf short limbs over a 15" ilf riser with ilf xl limbs?

Another way of of asking is if I know I want a 62" AMO recurve how do I go about deciding on a 17", 19" or 21" in riser?

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Longer riser and shorter limbs will be faster provided you aren't pulling too much into the stack. Where this is will depend on your draw-length and the tiller bolt positions.

If you are looking for a bow specifically for 3D then you are going to want a 25" riser.

-Grant

Reactions: stone386

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
According to Sid of Borderbows, choose your limb length by your draw length and then the riser length to make up the bow length you want.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
The best thing I ever did was to shoot a 64" recurve. I use the BlackMax longs. My draw is 29" and it really made a difference for me.
A medium limb might be a tad faster but when I bought my bow I tried the mediums on the same riser and didn't like the draw as much.
Personal preference.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
I'm going to go the other way. Find a riser that fits your hand and your eye and then match limbs to it to handle your draw length. And not the length you had in mind.

Mike

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
If you're looking for a target bow then I would go as long as possible or at least make sense...

If youre looking to hunt and shoot 3-D then idtake into consideration of your hunting conditions like a blind or tree stand...

Most target guys I know that shoot 45 yards are shooting 68-70" bows.

I hunt with 62-66" and targets with 70" only.

Dewayne Martin

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
I'm going to go the other way. Find a riser that fits your hand and your eye and then match limbs to it to handle your draw length. And not the length you had in mind.

Mike
Mike,

You make an interesting point about the riser fitting one's eye. High anchor and gapping favor smaller sight windows. Low anchor and string walking need longer sight windows.

I am fan of 27" risers. With a long riser there is greater mass farther from the center and I think this offers added stability. Being able to use the shortest limbs for ones DL wins a little performance as well.

Rasyad

Reactions: stone386

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Stone386....My personal experience with riser/limb lengths is dictated by my draw length, and what the intended use of the bow is...I've settled into a 25" riser and Short limb length making a 66" bow, even though I like the portability and looks of a 21" riser, and Short or Medium length limbs, I just don't shoot the shorter bows as well, day-in, day-out...I don't hunt with a bow, so I have no real need for a shorter bow, and have hunted a good bit in the past with 64"-68" bows without any real issues...maybe this helped ya out.......Take care......Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Longer riser and shorter limbs will be faster provided you aren't pulling too much into the stack. Where this is will depend on your draw-length and the tiller bolt positions.

If you are looking for a bow specifically for 3D then you are going to want a 25" riser.

-Grant
I guess this is what I was trying to confirm. It makes sense to me. For some reason it seems like any riser longer than 19" is not socially acceptable at most of the shoots I go to and if you want to turn in your score it's strictly "off the shelf".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
According to Sid of Borderbows, choose your limb length by your draw length and then the riser length to make up the bow length you want.
This is a little confusing given the range of riser lengths from 13" - 25". It seems to me the optimum riser length and limb length would depend on each other for a given draw length.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike,

You make an interesting point about the riser fitting one's eye. High anchor and gapping favor smaller sight windows. Low anchor and string walking need longer sight windows.

I am fan of 27" risers. With a long riser there is greater mass farther from the center and I think this offers added stability. Being able to use the shortest limbs for ones DL wins a little performance as well.

Rasyad
Why would "High anchor and gapping favor smaller sight windows"?

·
Registered
320 Posts
My draw length is 30.5" and I am shooting a 25" Bernardini Nilo w/ Long Limbs, 70" bow. I am shooting Field Archery and 3D. So would a 27" riser with Medium limbs, 70" bow see a difference gain compare to the 25" riser?

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I guess this is what I was trying to confirm. It makes sense to me. For some reason it seems like any riser longer than 19" is not socially acceptable at most of the shoots I go to and if you want to turn in your score it's strictly "off the shelf".
Do what the IBO guys do and build a shelf on a 25".

-Grant

Reactions: MLAV

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I can't see the problem with a long (64"-66") hunting bow. The difference between the 64" and the 58" bow is only 3" at each end. There might be a situation where three extra inches of lib tip sticking up is an issue, but I can't see it. Even sitting down I can still shoot the 64" bow. For me the difference is in the balance and draw.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.