Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shirley Temple? Here?

Okay, I never liked her kiddie act. BUT, she co-starred in one of the all-time great westerns, 'Fort Apache', as the daughter of the Colonel, played by Henry Fonda. A small but excellent role, in a cast that included John Wayne, Ward Bond etc.

John Ford knew what he was doing when he cast her. Goodbye, 'Philadelphia Thursday'.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
She provided an important respite from the anguish of the depression. The country needed her at that time.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She provided an important respite from the anguish of the depression. The country needed her at that time.
Good point. We too often dismiss entertainment as 'mere entertainment.' Sometimes it's a useful tonic, or as they say, laughter is the best medicine.

And I should have mentioned that Temple served our nation as an Ambassador later in life.

Reactions: garyleehughes

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally found my copy of Fort Apache. Actually had lent it to someone who finally returned it. (After I turned a lot of stuff upside down looking...)

Holds up well for a film made in 1948. Plenty of 'comic relief', with a dead-serious Henry Fonda as an officer seeking glory by any means. The small scene where the Sergeant-Major puts him in his place is still remarkable. Great cast, scenery, dialogue.

·
Premium Member
12,112 Posts
I think I have Fort APache on the DVR, not watched it yet, been piling up Westerns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts