Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Dan and I'm from Northern California and have been shooting longbows and recurves for 45 years. I was a professional bowyer for a few years in the 90s. I took a hiatus from archery for 7 years and have started shooting again about 5 months ago. When I started shooting again I also started video taping my practices and found significant flaws in my form. Well, after that many months of daily practice on video I have rewarded myself with a 21 inch Hoyt Satori riser and ordered a set of long Uuhka vx1000 xcurve limbs. Here is my first question, normally I would order a 63 inch string for a 66 inch bow, but because of the unique shape of these limbs should I order a slightly longer string? And should I order it with smaller loops because of the smaller limb tips? Thank you in advance for any help you can lend.

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,235 Posts
The Uukha limbs, even the Xcurves follow AMO standards (within a twist or two), so a 63" string is what you need. When I got on the Uukha wagon (I now have five sets of their limbs) I started making my strings with smaller loops.

Here's a couple links to their website. One is a calculator for limb/riser lengths; the other is specifications for string lengths:

http://www.uukha.com/archive/en/calculateur-en.php

http://www.uukha.com/archive/en/reglages-en.php#5

Actual string length:

70" 1700 mm = 66.92913386"
68" 1654 mm = 64.84251969"
66" 1606 mm = 63.03149606"

Reactions: Locomo

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Concrats on your choice.
You are going to like the draw, speed and silence of the x-curves.
With the right brace (7 3/4 for me with a 60" combo) they are the quietest limbs out there
and that applies to both light (300)and heavy (550) arrows.
I found they gave 1-2 pounds less than other limbs marked the same,
(got 39-44# out of 40#limbs at 26 3/4 draw on a 17" Das).

Good luck, r.mika

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your responses. That is what I needed to know. Would it be safe to say that loops could be 1/3 smaller and work with the limbs?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The tips are smaller than any, like some Indian selfbows, and the limb itself is a little narrower than normally, but you want the upper loop still big enough to slide down obviously.1/3 is a safe bet.

r.mika

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I got the limbs and set them up and have shot 400 arrows with them and they are fabulous. Not only are they the smoothest drawing limbs I have ever shot but they are very forgiving. I was surprised how some of my bad releases ended up staying in the group while I was expecting them to be well outside. The other interesting result was that the 500 spine shafts I was shooting with the SF limbs were over spined with the Uuhka limbs. I had to go to 600 spine shafts and dropped the weight of my points to 75 grains. As far as the string, I had a longbow string that fit the limbs tips of the Uuhka limbs perfectly. So I know now what order for a string. Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Flash Pan Dan, Yes I agree with you on arrow spine. The Uukha limbs require a weaker arrow than one would anticipate. I shoot a 57 inch string on my 60 inch bow with Uukha limbs. I have my brace height on my 60 inch bow set at 7.5 inches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts